AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LG 55" C9 and I'm starting to get interested with home theater systems. Since I live in a condo, I have limited space in my living room so I was originally interested with purchasing a Samsung HW-Q90R which is a decent soundbar. But every time I see threads about that soundbar in different forums, I see HTS enthusiasts always saying that you could get a real home theater setup that would blow the Q90R away for the same amount of money. My goal is Dolby Atmos TRUE-HD/DTS-X (through eARC) with Dolby Vision/HDR.

With that said, can I get a decent Dolby Atmos-capable HTS (receiver, main speakers, surround speakers, Atmos/height/upfiring/ceiling speakers) for maybe a $1000 budget? Or perhaps if it really makes sense, I can stretch up to $1300 to $1500. I have a small living room (93 sqft.) but it can probably accommodate a basic HTS.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
I have an LG 55" C9 and I'm starting to get interested with home theater systems. Since I live in a condo, I have limited space in my living room so I was originally interested with purchasing a Samsung HW-Q90R which is a decent soundbar. But every time I see threads about that soundbar in different forums, I see HTS enthusiasts always saying that you could get a real home theater setup that would blow the Q90R away for the same amount of money. My goal is Dolby Atmos TRUE-HD/DTS-X (through eARC) with Dolby Vision/HDR.

With that said, can I get a decent Dolby Atmos-capable HTS (receiver, main speakers, surround speakers, Atmos/height/upfiring/ceiling speakers) for maybe a $1000 budget? Or perhaps if it really makes sense, I can stretch up to $1300 to $1500. I have a small living room (93 sqft.) but it can probably accommodate a basic HTS.
Yes, very easily at $1300-1500. $1K would be a bit of a squeeze.

Infinity currently has a great sale going on, I'd jump on it ASAP before it disappears.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14208077-i...shelf-179-pair-more?p=138919820#post138919820

R152 bookshelves for L/R, $159/pr
R152 bookshelves for surrounds, $159/pr
RC252 center, $159
Monolith 10" THX sub, $500 from Amazon
Denon 750H receiver, $500 from Amazon

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
So this isn't an Atmos setup, is it?
oops, I forgot: you can simply add another pair of R152 at $160 for use as height speakers.

Or go with a pair of NHT SuperZeros as height speakers (they're smaller and don't have rear ports unlike the Infinitys so they'd be easier to wall mount) for $120 from Amazon.

Zero need to "match" the height speakers with the other speakers.

The receiver can do 7 channels so 5 would be bed layer speakers and 2 would be for the heights.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops, I forgot: you can simply add another pair of R152 at $160 for use as height speakers.

Or go with a pair of NHT SuperZeros as height speakers (they're smaller and don't have rear ports unlike the Infinitys so they'd be easier to wall mount) for $120 from Amazon.

Zero need to "match" the height speakers with the other speakers.

The receiver can do 7 channels so 5 would be bed layer speakers and 2 would be for the heights.
I see. Did you mean RS152 for the surround speakers?

What do you mean by "zero need to match the height speaker with the other speakers"?

With the setup that you proposed, that 4.1.2, correct? Would that be loads better than the 7.1.4 of any soundbar?

Where do you specifically mount (and how) the height speakers?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
I see. Did you mean RS152 for the surround speakers?

What do you mean by "zero need to match the height speaker with the other speakers"?

With the setup that you proposed, that 4.1.2, correct? Would that be loads better than the 7.1.4 of any soundbar?

Where do you specifically mount (and how) the height speakers?

The height speakers can be from another brand. They do a miniscule % of the output, like maybe 5%.

No, the setup I proposed is 5.1.2

Yes, it would eat any soundbar at any price for lunch.

Do a YouTube search for instructions on how to mount height speakers.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, ok.

Oops, sorry, 5.1.2. So the number of channels support of receivers doesn't really consider the subwoofer channel. Good to know.

Are these Infinity speakers considered entry level speakers?

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
I see, ok.

Oops, sorry, 5.1.2. So the number of channels support of receivers doesn't really consider the subwoofer channel. Good to know.

Are these Infinity speakers considered entry level speakers?
No, I'd say they're mid-level and the best you're going to get with that budget. Definitely better than anything that budget will get you at Best Buy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No, I'd say they're mid-level and the best you're going to get with that budget. Definitely better than anything that budget will get you at Best Buy.
Ok. I know they're sold out but how do the R162's compared to the R152's?

Why'd you recommend the R152 vs. the RS152 for the surround speakers?

How about the RC263 vs. the RC252 for center channel?

So typically, for an Atmos setup, the base speakers should be of the same brand except for the subwoofer?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

So typically, for an Atmos setup, the base speakers should be of the same brand except for the subwoofer?

On the R152 vs RS152 you can try both if you can swing it with free return shipping. Keep the one that sounds best.

Can comment on the RC263 as why it is better. It is a 3 way design with larger woofers so will be very clear and easy to drive. Many have found it to be a superb center.

Surrounds and atmos can be of different brands but since the Infinity sale is so good why not go with it for all.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the R152 vs RS152 you can try both if you can swing it with free return shipping. Keep the one that sounds best.

Can comment on the RC263 as why it is better. It is a 3 way design with larger woofers so will be very clear and easy to drive. Many have found it to be a superb center.

Surrounds and atmos can be of different brands but since the Infinity sale is so good why not go with it for all.
I live internationally so returning things that I buy would not be as easy so I mostly refer to people's first-hand suggestions/reviews. I don't think we have those same speakers here in the Philippines but I would have to double check again.

How long do these Infinity deals last for and are they frequently happening? I'm not really in a hurry and I'm still in the canvassing/planning stage of this purchase but I've read that the same speakers went on sale last April for $20 less than what the sale price now.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts

The R162 have bigger woofers and will give you slightly more mid-bass. The R152 have 5.25" woofers which are nevertheless a big improvement over the crappy 2-3" woofers in most soundbars.

The RS152 are dipoles for on-wall mounting. Not recommended if you eventually plan on adding Atmos. The R152 are more versatile in that respect.

No, you can have the surrounds and the center be from different brands if budget demands or if the "matching" center happens to suck or be wildly overpriced. Neither of which applies to these Infinitys although if you can squeeze in an extra $150 the RC263 sold off Amazon would be worth it since the center does 70-80% of the HT output and the bigger woofers would be especially useful there.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
I live internationally so returning things that I buy would not be as easy so I mostly refer to people's first-hand suggestions/reviews. I don't think we have those same speakers here in the Philippines but I would have to double check again.

How long do these Infinity deals last for and are they frequently happening? I'm not really in a hurry and I'm still in the canvassing/planning stage of this purchase but I've read that the same speakers went on sale last April for $20 less than what the sale price now.

You should have stated where you're from in your first post, instead of wasting a lot of time discussing speakers that aren't even available to you anyway.

Go out and figure out what speakers ARE available and DO fit your budget THERE.

Then come back and gather more input.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should have stated where you're from in your first post, instead of wasting a lot of time discussing speakers that aren't even available to you anyway.

Go out and figure out what speakers ARE available and DO fit your budget THERE.

Then come back and gather more input.
Why would you consider this a waste of time? The reason why I did not state that information was because it is irrelevant. I'm a frequent buyer of electronics in the US and have them forwarded here. So please, do not consider that as a hindrance because it is simply not. Since you're from the US, I would think that you source everything there and are not used to buying internationally, of course. The only limitation I have is I would not be able to hear the speakers before the purchase and won't be able to return them if I don't like them. Other than, all is fair game. I hope you can still continue helping me out here.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
I'm a frequent buyer of electronics in the US and have them forwarded here.
Wow, you must have some good connections then.

I have several Filipino friends here and they all avoid sending anything valuable through the mail to the Philippines---not just due to high customs/taxes but mainly fear of theft.

Ok, well in that case...

The Infinitys are the best you can get WHEN ON SALE as they are right now. If HT/TV/gaming is your main usage then there is an extremely high chance you'll be more than happy with them, especially compared to any soundbar at any price.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, you must have some good connections then.

I have several Filipino friends here and they all avoid sending anything valuable through the mail to the Philippines---not just due to high customs/taxes but mainly fear of theft.

Ok, well in that case...

The Infinitys are the best you can get WHEN ON SALE as they are right now. If HT/TV/gaming is your main usage then there is an extremely high chance you'll be more than happy with them, especially compared to any soundbar at any price.
Not really good connections, but mostly because I'm an "informed" Filipino. And it's not just me. Enthusiasts around here do the same as there are a lot of US to Philippines freight forwarders out there. No customs tax when you use them too. Anything from the US can be imported here with ease.

Ok, got it. So really if I want to spend a bit more, a good setup would be RC263 for center, R162's for L/R and surround, and the Monolith subwoofer and Denon AVR you recommended.

Btw, why did you not recommend the Infinity R12 subwoofer that is also on sale now? Is that not a good sub?

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
Btw, why did you not recommend the Infinity R12 subwoofer that is also on sale now? Is that not a good sub?
That R12 is not in the same league as the Monolith sub. It's like comparing a scooter to a motorcycle.

Reactions: Deaf-Forever

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That R12 is not in the same league as the Monolith sub. It's like comparing a scooter to a motorcycle.
And a good subwoofer is a must also, correct? If you step down a notch (in terms of price) from the Monolith, do you have any other recommendations?

As for the AVR, is the Denon AVR-S750H pretty much the all around bang for the buck choice for my use case?

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
And a good subwoofer is a must also, correct? If you step down a notch (in terms of price) from the Monolith, do you have any other recommendations?

As for the AVR, is the Denon AVR-S750H pretty much the all around bang for the buck choice for my use case?
The RSL sub is the notch down from the Monolith 10".

As for the receiver, another option is the Yamaha 7850...Amazon has a "renewed" model on sale I think. Do a search on the AVS Receivers forum for comparisons...I think the Yamaha is preferred.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts