AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It works -- thanks to the person who offered a linux test system (again, dunno name here and don't know if he wants a real name used).

The encryption system is just as I described earlier -- __Q_=, encryption just like RDDNS but with a different extradata block, also given earlier. The timestamp in the crypted block needs to be pretty accurate -- adding a configurable offset for it was the only change I had to make to make my test client work. So -- why didn't it work for AVElution? Good question -- probably a lingering bug in my windows networking code (if you get the timestamp wrong, you get back a '0' response, not a hang).

I'll be checking in the change to the ReplayPC source tree in a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks again, Rudy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
It works -- thanks to the person who offered a linux test system (again, dunno name here and don't know if he wants a real name used).

The encryption system is just as I described earlier -- __Q_=, encryption just like RDDNS but with a different extradata block, also given earlier. The timestamp in the crypted block needs to be pretty accurate -- adding a configurable offset for it was the only change I had to make to make my test client work. So -- why didn't it work for AVElution? Good question -- probably a lingering bug in my windows networking code (if you get the timestamp wrong, you get back a '0' response, not a hang).

I'll be checking in the change to the ReplayPC source tree in a few minutes.
Outstanding news-- You had the solution -- only needed the hardware to implement and prove. You solved it before you even got your 4500 in the mail! Let us know when you have the windows version up and running.

Thanks again!

->Dave

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A working windows version is gonna have to come from someone besides me -- all my windows box knows how to do is play Civ III and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
...all my windows box knows how to do is play Civ III and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
Hey what else should a windows box know how to do?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
I fear Sonic may respond with something tougher to crack
Not if they want to sell boxes, I have 3 4Ks because of SwapDV and plan to buy 2 more. I hope they understand that allow us to use our box more efficiently sells more product.

-nathan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well that'd be a real shame, but it's certainly possible. I too bought my 4000 because of this ability and I'd really hate to lose it. In fact, if I lose it in the next 30 days, it's going back :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
originally posted by nystratton Not if they want to sell boxes, I have 3 4Ks because of SwapDV and plan to buy 2 more. I hope they understand that allow us to use our box more efficiently sells more product.
you know it, everybody knows it that by using SwapDV Sonicblue at least loses one potential unit sale because instead of buying additional unit, user use their PC to stream video.

Likewise when user can increase the HDD size themselves Sonicblue loses on the potential margin earned by their more expensive models.

The user little by little knowingly takes away Sonicblue's ability to generate profit to fund their engineering payrolls to further innovate DVR.:(

·
Registered
213 Posts
indrg,

if i didn't see that tongue in your cheek, i would be screaming and tearing out my hair after reading your message!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 925
indrg,

if i didn't see that tongue in your cheek, i would be screaming and tearing out my hair after reading your message!
Hold it, that's KenL with the occasional tongue in cheek? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon1.gif

KenL has said it before... better get the box you need for the supported features and not be going for unsupported extras (same goes for TiVo). If your only compelling reason for purchase is some "hack" then perhaps just pass? That said... just can't see them enforcing "no upgrades"? That would be a huge PR mess and may even offend KenL.

Ok 925 get to screaming and pulling that hair. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon12.gif

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well for me SwapDV is what sets apart the 4000 over my Showstopper. Sure CA is cool and so is IVS but it is not $700+ cool when I have a working Showstopper with 100Hrs of storage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by indrg

you know it, everybody knows it that by using SwapDV Sonicblue at least loses one potential unit sale because instead of buying additional unit, user use their PC to stream video.

Likewise when user can increase the HDD size themselves Sonicblue loses on the potential margin earned by their more expensive models.

The user little by little knowingly takes away Sonicblue's ability to generate profit to fund their engineering payrolls to further innovate DVR.:(
I would rephrase that to "Likewise when user can increase the HDD size themselves Sonicblue loses on the [ludicrous] margin earned by their more [ridiculously overpriced] models."

I am all for them making a good-- heck even great profit. I would have gladly paid a couple hundred dollar premium over the additional hardware costs for significantly more storage even though I could do it myself because I like the company/product and want to support it. Unfortunately, that was not an option due to their exorbitant pricing-- please a $1300 premium for a $350 drive upgrade is a bit chaffing. Their pricing model looks like it was copied from IBM and COMPAQ of the 80s and early 90s --- outrageous amounts for memory upgrades and other parts.

I am happy to pay a premium for features and certainly happily did so when I purchased a RPTV over TiVo. But I hope for SB and our own good that a pricing structure more in line with reality is coming down the pike.

->Dave

·
Banned
156 Posts
*sigh*

What ever happened to that fantastic concept of charging whatever the market will bear? What a society of cheapskates we have become.

Ben.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got ReplayPC working on FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.5 with some minor changes to the Makefile, but it is SLOW, over 2 hours for a 30 minute program.

Just got my 4508 yesterday, so I'm still learning how to use all these GREAT utilities!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kotis, sounds like a problem with the throttling delay -- try fiddling with the '-d' option to httpfs readfile (or look at rtv_sleep() and see if there's a problem there for FreeBSD). there was a bug that would cause 5 second sleeps rather than .5 second sleeps, but that was windows-only.

It'd be nice if the 4.3 software is stable enough that the throttling could be removed entirely without causing crashes again.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.