AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a great open box deal at Best Buy on a demo DTS-100 without Hu card. I am confused on whether to keep the RCA or return it because I do not understand what to do about the missing Hu card.

Do I buy one off of ebay or elsewhere? Can I do without a Hu card on the DTS-100 if I get the current Blockbuster deal and use the non-HDTV Hughes receiver on my analog set in another room? Can I instead use the Hu card that will come in the Hughes receiver of the BlockBuster deal in my RCA HDTV receiver? Where is the most inexpensive place to get a Hu card? Is there a recommended Hu card or are they all the same?

Are there smarter options that I should choose? Much confused here and obviously a newbie just setting up my CRT and my first HTPC.

My plan is to get the Para Todos $19.95 Direct TV subscription in order to get the oval disk, then convert to HBO only after one month. Alternatively may get the Select Choice if I can be sure of getting an oval dish. Any advice?

Terry

------------------

BarcoGraphics 808

Thunderbird 1.1Ghz

HTPC in process

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Get the Blockbuster deal and transfer the card to the DTC-100 and activate it!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Terry,

The HU card is really an item that would need to be purchased from Directv. I think it will cost you $80 to get a new card for the unit. Be careful what you buy online. Your best bet is to just call directv and tell them you are interested in activating the box and here what they try to sell you. Good Luck.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This from Usenet:

Call DirecTV and tell them you bought a used receiver that did not come with an access card. They will want the serial number from the IRD and will want you to plug it into a phone line.

Apparently, they will charge you $20 to replace it with a new one and send it to you in 2-3 days.

It's worth trying before anything else if you intend to subscribe. I am told they are now marrying the cards to the IRD's and they have made some changes in the way cards are being handled and the charges for them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks taron1, toshiba5 (Peter), and Mongo!

I am ready to sign up for the Para Todos BlockBuster deal ($10 for dish, Hughes non-HDTV receiver, and free install of oval dish) tomorrow and will then try as you suggest to resolve the card issue in my DTC-100.

Should I wait until the oval dish is installed by the BlockBuster installer before calling DirecTV so that I will have a signal to receive?

Based on your preceding feedback, I discovered that DirecTV charges $39 for a new card but gives a $29 credit if I have a card to send back to them so I will go this route if I can find a cheap Hu card that they will accept.

Cheers!

------------------

BarcoGraphics 808

Thunderbird 1.1Ghz

HTPC in process

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You must have satellite signal to the unit for them to activate the receiver and card.

I myself brought an open box Mits and used another card and had directV activate it with the Mits receiver, this was 4 days ago!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.