AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm buying this house... 1935 farm house that has this mammoth barn in the yard.... The previous owner spent over 30 grand re-roofing this building..... 50year sherrif goslin shingles.... I'm guessing the barn length at over 75 feet long x roughly 37 feet wide and 30 foot tall..... I'm thinking of using 1 of the upper loft areas to build a new theater.. I would have a good 50 ft in length and 35 ft in width with still 16 good ft of ceiling height to play with. I always wanted to build a larger theater but now that I may have the space, geez, now I'm thinking, how big is TOO BIG? I guess I can use up a lot of space making a nice lobby and hang out area, separate 2 channel listening room too. What would you guys do with that kind of space available.... all I'm really doing is building a room within a room......... you can see this barn from outer space!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
For a space that size you are going to need some major $'s to be able to purchase the equipment to be able to project an appropriately sized image. But if you do have the dollars that would be an amazing space to work with.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as the audio end goes I think I'm all set... I've been collecting yamaha p7000s pro amps. Plus have a adcom gfa 5400 amp as well as a yamaha p5000s amp. The 7000 amps do 750 watts into 8 ohms stereo and 1100 watts into 4 ohm stereo..... 3200 watts bridged 4 ohm for subs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My suggestion would be to make a decent sized 4 wall theater up there but use the remaining space for an kick ass theater lobby / bar. There are some good examples of this here on AVS but the exact names of them allude me at the moment.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya know, I'm not sure yet Art...... why you got one to sell? Obviously my present screen won't be big enough....... I've got too many ideas spinning in my head right now to know what size room to make. I could seriously build one flippen huge room! I could build a lobby on the right side of the barn loft and make a bridge over to the other side even...... Its just too much space to know what to do with....... never had that problem before...... Its always been not enough space and trying to squeeze out every last bit of cubic inches....

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaudio /forum/post/15417506

Ok, so I'm buying this house... 1935 farm house that has this mammoth barn in the yard.... The previous owner spent over 30 grand re-roofing this building..... 50year sherrif goslin shingles.... I'm guessing the barn length at over 75 feet long x roughly 37 feet wide and 30 foot tall..... I'm thinking of using 1 of the upper loft areas to build a new theater.. I would have a good 50 ft in length and 35 ft in width with still 16 good ft of ceiling height to play with. I always wanted to build a larger theater but now that I may have the space, geez, now I'm thinking, how big is TOO BIG? I guess I can use up a lot of space making a nice lobby and hang out area, separate 2 channel listening room too. What would you guys do with that kind of space available.... all I'm really doing is building a room within a room......... you can see this barn from outer space!

Go big! Although other folks will have a better image (unless you can really afford the equipment), I think the fun of having an enormous screen inside would be a blast. Go for it! (and please post pics along the way!)

PS - PM sent.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Or... host a pre-build party and get a whole group to brainstorm onsite... only cost you pizza and drinks, but would be fun

At the end, you will be 5 lbs heavier and have 5 years of ideas to try and build.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why not a multiplex??? (or build one now and leave room?)

However more practically, i like the bridging idea, especially if it could be tied into some kind of theme including what ever is below the bridge??

Keep it updated?

P.s. any pictures of the barn now??

·
Registered
Klipsch Heritage, Danley subs, Emotiva, Epson 5050
5,293 Posts
It can be awfully lonely and cold sitting in a large room with only one or two people. Do you plan to have enough family and friends around to fill a space that size?

Our room is 17.5' x 32', and when it's just me, I feel a bit odd. Maybe I'm just strange?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Not strange at all. I've heard and read some comments to that effect. Quoting Jonathon Kellerman in the Oct 08 Sound and Vision. "I like sitting in a small space. If it's just one or two people watching, sitting in a big theater can feel a little weird."

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/15421212

It can be awfully lonely and cold sitting in a large room with only one or two people. Do you plan to have enough family and friends around to fill a space that size?

Our room is 17.5' x 32', and when it's just me, I feel a bit odd. Maybe I'm just strange?

I think I am with you here. I would try to make a realistic estimate of the number of people you would potentially bring over, add a few extra to that number, and build an awesome theater for that many people. If you would truely have 30 people over for a movie, then make a theater that fits 35 people. If you are like me and don't have many friends, make it smaller

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaudio /forum/post/15417506

Let me suggest that you get some help with the acoustics from a professional. Rooms as large as you are considering absolutely require professional treatment to tame the reverb...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I like the Multiplex idea...

heck.. you could even do a drive-in downstairs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.