AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the disadvantage (if any) of a 100 ohm impedance spike at 25HZ in a ported enclosure?

What is the disadvantage (if any) of 70ms group delay spike at 14HZ?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail /forum/post/20810544

What is the disadvantage (if any) of a 100 ohm impedance spike at 25HZ in a ported enclosure?

What is the disadvantage (if any) of 70ms group delay spike at 14HZ?

1. None, really. Probably where the port resonates. Your amplifier will have an easier time driving at that frequency...

2. While it might appear to effectively move your speaker by about 70' relative to 0 ms delay, in practice your AVR will at least partially compensate and at that frequency I can't imagine there will be any audible impact fromthe phase shift (time delay, group delay, however you want to express it). FYI, 70 ms is just about one full cycle at 14 Hz.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don. I had seen little information on the net regarding the two specific scenarios described above. I remember reading a reference to trying not to exceed 30ms at 20HZ for Group Delay but questioned how impactful this would be on sound quality at that low a frequency for HT use. Wasn't sure if there was some benefit to minimizing impedance peaks or trying to achieve equity for the two peaks.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I admit the 14 Hz pulse response may be affected.
You can always argue the benefits, but I am betting those are narrow resonance peaks and thus are not likely to be audible. Especially that low!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts