AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mark, Did you see the NIB 1292? The auction looks legit. I went ahead and registered through their auction house for bidding. Nice thing is I am just a few hours drive form the auction to pick something up if I win. It will be an interesting day.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I tried to register, and they wanted a CC number to qualify your bids. However, the form on which they wanted you to input your CC info had some ambiguous security. The page was coming across on https (but that is just a port number in realtiy - not a guarantor of security), it did not show as being encrypted in IE. You might want to double-check with their webmaster to be sure. The T&C's looked a lot like the way a real industrial auction house works, so I'd guess that the sale is legit. It may just be that they have a bad web designer...

Later,

Bill

PS: I've had too many issues with stolen CC info on-line (ie. >0), so I'm sitting this one out...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Dang, and there was already a discussion on Friday about how many 8"EM machines were floating around on Ebay now there are several NIB to add to it all. And they seem to have 100s of digitial projectors up as well. BTW, for those of you considering bidding there is a 16% buyers permimum added to final amount you pay. Live auctions frequently include this but 16% is a little steep in my experience....

·
Registered
525 Posts
I do not think these are all new. The are coming from MCSI, which is an AV rental company. They are in road cases, which leads to me believe that they are rentals and have been shipped all over the place....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The 16% is steep and when I registered they also want a cash deposit in the amount 10% for proxy bids and if I am right a deposit for the whole amount you plan to bid online during the auction before it starts? They are not clear on that part because they demand payment in cash or by wire transfer the day the auction closes. I am registered but have not posted a deposit yet.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
matrix,

That is interesting about them wanting a 10% cash deposit. I believe they are legitimate, but they look like they will be something of a pain to deal with. Of course the greater the pain the lower the prices (generally speaking). I wonder if one could attend the auction in person, they are pretty close to you Matrix but about 9 hours from me (central VA). I wonder if the buyer's premium is any different if you are in person (a auction house near me has 10% in person and 16.4% over the Internet). Not sure if it is worth the trip, I don't need another CRT projector but might consider one of the digitals for my bedroom and there was enough other stuff that was interesting if it went for a low enough price.... And you are right they are not very clear on their web site about what is necessary to bid, pay, how and if they handle shipping, etc....

secstate

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tend to agree with Suntech, I find it hard to believe that these projectors are "new in box" and their buyers premium is very steep for sure.

The effect of all the PJs on the market must be to depress the market.

There are only so many buyers out there.

Mark

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
It also seems totally legit to me as well, right up until you notice all these crt's and digitals are listed as new in box or new open box units.

Am I the only one that finds that absurd? Where are the parts machines, the rentals, the toasty tubes and smashed and scuffed machines?

Maybe I didn't look far enough to see them, but the number of new items just doesn't relate to the real auction world in my experience.

Could it be a scam to sell drop ship stuff, or at least to list used stuff as new? If anyone does go out and actually can see these things I'd like to hear a report.

brand new in box my a$$

Maybe just the boxes are new, and the pj's are trash.

Troy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well

This is about 2 minutes from where I work. I will be going to the preview showing on Thursday or Friday. If anyone wants me to look at a particular lot/# let me know.

I can't promise pictures, but I may be able to get a digi cam by then.

Also, it appears that 16% is about what your going to pay in fees if you buy it online or in person. There's a 10% auction fee, and then we have 6% sales tax here, so its a wash if you buy it online or in person.

Dave

P.S. here's a link to the liquidation company that's hosting the auction.
http://www.hilcoind.com/auctions/def...ion=read&ID=87

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
IF THERE IN A ROAD CASE THEY

ARE NOT NEW

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
There's always the case of a company purchasing a CRT projector for presentations on the road, putting it into a road case, an executive taking it out once, finding out its a full day's worth of work to get a tech present and get the machine ready, and never use it again. :)

Its not "new", but its damn close.

We can only dream. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Go deeper into their site and check out the minimum bids for online bids.

Also, they state they're not responsible for misinformation, i.e., age and condition.

Looks like a legit auction of questionable products and very sneaky and difficult terms.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been chastised by a forum member in a PM, who feels that I should not have posted this subject and that it draws peoples attention to the auctions thereby reducing his chances of a good deal.

Are there others that agree with this point of view?

Do you consider this a valid criticism?

My point was that I was suspicious of the auctions, particularly the "NIB" claim and wanted to alert Forum members of this.

Also, isn't the point of this Forum to share this sort of information amongst members, to the benefit of all?

The member considered that I'd tipped off "everyone in the world" to these items, but anyone entering suitable keywords in an Ebay search would have found them anyway.

Mark

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh no Mark, now you've done it. You went and let the cat out of the bag. Shame on you for tipping off all those of us on AVS CRT forum.

Give me a break. They have what appears to be hundreds (if not more) auctions listed on ebay. You know, that obscure site that gets almost no traffic. Like a gazillion people haven't seen this without your help.

You did fine posting it here and your correspondent is a jerk for giving you any crap.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I have felt that way in the past when someone let the cat out of the bag, especially when it's a big deal, but like you said anyone on ebay would see it anyway.

I appreciate the heads up, and the help this info provides in determining if any of this stuff is even for real.

A huge find like this could make a resellers year financially, if it's real, so no surprise people might get a bit agravated to see it become public knowledge.

I'm on your side though, it wasn't someones secret here. It's a publicly advertised auction with links all over ebay.

Troy

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.