AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Samsung T-160 as part of the $99 DirecTV deal. I currently run a Hughes E-86 box for all TV. OTA analog and digital as well as DirecTV (HD and SD).

One of these two boxes will go in the basement as strictly a 480i box. The simultaneous output of HD and SD is an excellent up-side for the T160, but the box is worrying me because of the frequent lock-ups caused by tuning to an OTA digital channel that does not have a strong signal.

Has anyone compared these two boxes side by side? I have spent a lot of time in the various Samsung threads, and came away with only a few questions.

I'm interested in how the T160 performs vs. the E-86 with:

Overall PQ of 1080i material

SD upconversion to 1080i

Reception of OTA HD

Does the T160 run as hot as the Hughes E-86

Also, does the Sammy have discrete on/off codes (Hughes does not)

=================================================

For the record, the box will be hooked up via component cables (no DVI) and my Mits TV does not output 720p.

Thanks,

Ralph

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
This thread has info on the Samsung box.
I've been through this thread but there are no comparisons to the E86, it only tells of the problems and fixes. The 120 page T160 thread is much the same.

I'm looking for people who have ben able to do A/B comparisons between the E86 and the T160.

Thanks for the link to the yahoo group, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I also just got a T-160, yesterday in fact. I'm really disappointed in the way its DVI port crushes the blacks. The component connection seems a lot better, but it still crushes blacks compared to my HD cable box.

I'd be interested in getting your thoughts about the black levels compared to your E86.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll make note of the black levels as well. I will be forced to used component cables though, as my 2001 Mits does not support DVI.

I'm going to hook it up Friday night to see how it functions for OTA digital and analog reception. I'm waiting until my Saturday install to activate it with DirecTV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.