AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 617w Samsung TV. I have it hooked up via component cables to the Hughes E-86 box. After turning down some of the OOTB settings (color, brighntess, sharpness), the HDTV picture is fantastic! How much better picture will I get with the Samsung TS160 hooked up with DVI? I can't imagine getting a much better picture than I have now. I don't want to buy the Samsung if the improvement is minimal. Also the ABC high def looks very good even though the 720p is being converted to 1081i out of the Hughes and then back to 720p by the TV. That should be better on the Samsung 160 since the double conversion will not take place, but how much better?

Jim Bell

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi. I am going through the same debate. I haven't purchased a hd receiver yet but I was deciding between the hughes, samsung and zenith. I have the samsung HLN467W.

How is sd direct tv through component?? Is it better through s-video?? Are you satisfied with the hughes receiver so far?? Is hdtv amazing and are you able to receive ota channels with this receiver?? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I did not already have the Hughes, I would pick the Samsung. SD Directv through component is better than the S-Video. With the Hughes box you can watch sd and hd though the same connection. I have the High Def output (component) going to the TV directly. I have the s-video output hooked up the the TIVO. I have the Tivo connected via S-Video to input 1 of the TV which is SD only.

HD is truly amazing, in my opinion. The most impressive program material, again in my opinion, is a show called "Insectia" on Discovery HD. The color and sharpness of this program is stunning.

Jim Bell

·
Registered
81 Posts
What about ota hd channels?? Do you receive any of them?? I hear the samsung is better for picking up local channels. Are you looking to sell your hughes??

·
Registered
81 Posts
One other quick question. You have the hughes hooked up through component. The component goes to the tv and into the 1080i, 720p and 480p input. You are able to watch sd and hd through this input?? Isn't some direct tv 480i??

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kydee6039
One other quick question. You have the hughes hooked up through component. The component goes to the tv and into the 1080i, 720p and 480p input. You are able to watch sd and hd through this input?? Isn't some direct tv 480i??
The hughes upconverts everything to 1080i that comes out the component output.

·
Registered
186 Posts
certainly eliminating the 720 > 1080 > 720 conversion process by using the hughes has to give some advantage for the T-160. this is not validated by any test i have made.. but conventional wisdom says 720p direct out of the T-160 (component or DVI) into the Plasma would yield better results.

One other feature I like about the 160, is the standard def outputs (S video and composite) are active even with HD sources selected. not sure if the hughes does this or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why would I need to use these other sources?? i can use the component to watch sd direct tv and hd at the same time. What use would the s-video and composite have??

·
Registered
186 Posts
I feed a small LCD tv in the kitchen with the composite output of the 160 so I can keep watching while getting a beer.

I have the S-video connected to my s_vhs for recording.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.