AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is not a success story. I now have my second Toshiba CW34X92 direct view 16:9 TV. No problem here. My first set is connected to the RCA DTC-100. No problem here, using the RCA transcoder. I just received my new Hughes E-86 for the new set. After being on for a day, the Hughes is emitting a smell like a dead animal and the contrast on HDTV Direct 199 is so dark that if a dealer were using this set-up, he would not sell one HDTV set. The E-86 is extremely hot to the touch. Also, in the Peter Framton segment, the contrast is so dark that it is hard to see the crowd.

I know there was a problem like this at the release of these STB's, but I thought they had corrected it. I am going to contact Hughes today. I may turn it back in to the dealer & get either the Sony and another DTC-100. The picture on the DTC-100 is great. The only reason I went with the Hughes on the second STB was the guide.

Having the ability to see direct comparisons with the same type TV really tells a story. If this unit is not defective, then the Hughes E-86 customers are really getting screwed. I would welcome any comments. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
294 Posts
You are over reacting to a simple, yet frustrating problem. The unit is defective. My E86 works great, and has since I installed it. I did purchase a (brand new) second Hughes box - E45, that arrived DOA. They are replacing the unit and the dealer is paying the shipping charges.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.