AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an earlier posting on the "dark" 1080i picture on the E-86, as compared to the RCA DTC-100. After talking to Hughes and J.R. at Orbitsat.com, apparently the Hughes/Toshiba/Mitsubishi STB's are calibrated to ATSC standards whereas the DTC-100 is not. I can get the identical picture, which is great, with the E-86 by increasing the Brightness by about 15%. I am going to have both of my Toshiba CW34X92 TV's calibrated by Ken Whitcomb from Indy on July 6. One uses the E-86 and the other the DTC-100. I assume the HD1 on each TV will be calibrated different based on the difference in the STB's. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I had my tv calibrated using the DTC100 the first time and then I had the guy come back and just retouch the gray scale and fix the input for the HDtuner(DST3000). But all the new boxes are darker then the DTC100, so if you decide to switch tuners or put another device on the DTC's input it will look darker. I tried every box so far and it's definetly the DTC's that are brighter not that the others are darker. The Panny and Hughes boxes are the same, the Sony box outputs different brightness depending wether it is a HD picture or SD picture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with you - my DST-3000 seems a bit dark too (I especially notice it on 480i upconverted content). But I'm a bit confused by this thread...

I just had my Toshiba grayscale calibrated with a Color Analyzer, but I don't see how you can "retouch" or "fix" the grayscale specifically for the DST-3000. Because what would be the "correct" grayscale reference point since you can't get Avia or VE-like "test patterns" from the DST-3000? It seems to me the closest you could come would be to send 1080i test patterns through the same component input that the DST-3000 runs through. That would calibrate the TV correctly but again, how could you actually get proper grayscale for the content coming out of the STB itself? How do you know whether it should be 5%, 15%, or 30%?

The other issue is that, if the Brightness in service mode is set to proper grayscale through the DVD input, do you constantly change brightness depending upon what source you were watching? Or do you watch DVD on a different temp setting altogether than the DST-3000? This seems really cumbersome to me - I wonder if changing settings in design mode (which I can do with my TW56x81) would be more user-friendly way?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Sorry about that, The grayscale was just redone again because I had the ISF guy come to redo the brightness for the HD input of the TV so he redid the gray scale, convergence and other little touch ups just because he made the trip. It had nothing to do with the boxes. It was about year and half after I had it initially calibrated it so he checked everything to see if it had shifted.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
The brightness is set using the designer mode for the TW65X81 for the individual inputs. The guy uses the HD channel 199 from DirecTV to adjust the brightness setting by eye. If I run a DVD disc(avia or VE) thru the HD inputs it's pretty closeif not identical to the DST3000's settings, but if you input the DTC into that input after adjusting the input either using the DST3000 or the DVD player the setting is to high.

The grayscale adjustment is done using the DVD player and is a setting that effects the whole TV and can not be set just for one particular input. No designer mode for gray scale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.