AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the samsung HLN467 and need to purchase a hd receiver. Can anyone let me know if the Hughes E86 is a good choice?? I know it doesn't output at a resolution of 720p but I figure my tv can convert the 1080i to 720p. As well, I know some people rant and rave about how good dvi is but is it really that much better than a good pair of component cables when it comes to direct tv - SD and hdtv?? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
The E86 is a bit old... Why buy a DLP set if you don't want the best PQ (and that's usually with DVI...)?

Did you take a look at the STB Synopsis thread at the top of the forum about all the current STBs? See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=179095

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have tried both the E86 and the Samsung TS160. IMHO the TS160 is a better receiver than the E86. The program guide is faster and the outputs would go better with your tv.

Devin

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The only reason to buy the e86 is because it is the cheapest.

I have one, better then nothing, but I would rather not buy an expensive box without Firewire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your saying your happy with your e86?? How is the hd picture hooked up through component?? What about sd with the component connection?? I heard sd is better through s-video. Is this true??

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am happy, only cost me 365 used. Didnt have to sign another 1 year commitment. My tv doesnt have a DVI and doesnt do 1080i.

I don't use the SD out, I can't tell the difference, but all TV's are different. I can use the smart stretch on my tv instead of the standard stretch on the e86. I only watch HD unless the Bucs are on SD. So I really don't worry too much about the way SD looks.

I am as happy as I can be with a receiver that doesnt have firewire.

You situation is much differnet than mine. Your TV supports DVI and 720p. If I were you I would buy a reciever that matches your TV better then the e86.

But that is just me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Hughes 86, through S video- plasma display and high definition picture is incredible. i'm have a tough time picking up my locals OTA but i'm not attributing this problem to my Hughes --- it may be since the Sept 11 attacks in 2001 one of the largest Markets in the U.S. has not fixed this problem..........hopefully soon!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.