AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the SF Bay Area, we have two local stations who are apparently experimenting with pushing different types of formats on their digital transmitters.

Fox on ch. 2.1 and KRON on 4.1 I am receiving these on my OTA.

Each is using a different formats and both are irritating. I guess the irritation is that I cannot seem to control how I wish to watch a broadcast, on these digital stations.

KRON image is full-screen & stretched which terribly distorts just about everything.

Fox started broadcasting a full screen, zoomed image. Everything is in normal perspective (not stretched) however graphics and heads are cutoff.

There doesen't seem to be any middle ground here. I would prefer to be in control of how I view the picture, however my Hughes HDTV sat box (with my OTA's coming into it) will not allow me to change a 1080i signal, which is how everything comes out of it. Not that it is 1080i quality, but I assume by using the "component" outputs, it thinks everything is 1080i and does not allow me to change viewing formats. I can change sat formats but not OTA formats.

I have my ota's and my Sat coming into the Hughes HDTV Sat box and I am not using the HDTV tuner on board my Mit tv. The only option I can think of is to put the OTA's into the TV, but then I am at the mercy of the formating options of the Mit, plus other issues.

When I first set it up, I had the OTA's coming into the TV directly. Only issue was the OTA was on one input and the Sat was on a different input. Changing inputs was problematic, when you wanted to switch from an OTA channel to a Sat channel. With both coming into the Hughes HDTV Sat box, I can setup channel lists which allow combining channels from any source, in the same guide.

Has anyone else wrestled with this and is doing something different with their setup? Comments greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It sounds like your setup is fine and the broadcasters have made unfortunate choices. There's nothing you can do about the cropped image except to contact the station and complain. When a local station used to (note the "used to", the complaining paid off) stretch their broadcast image, I would set the box to output 480i. Then I could use my TV's image controls to alleviate the problem somewhat. Setting the STB at full mode and the TV to an edge weighted stretch mode worked best for me. You could always watch the analog channel through the E-86 too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greywolf,

I have my e86 hooked up via the component jacks and then into the DTV input on my Mit. Is your setup similar?

Thx - Dave

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Yes, but component only makes 1080i available. In addition, S-Video, composite, or RF connections in order of best performance (usually) are required for 480i. Of course the E-86 and the TV have to be switched to the 480i connection.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I was setting the timer for my ATSC w/ firewire box (Panasonic TU-DST51A) and also noticed the change with KTVU 2, which must have been recently.

KRON has also gone back to the stretched again. I've also got the Hughes box, and should see the same thing.

For more discussions on this check out the HDTV-in-SFBay list in the Yahoo Groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HDTV-in-SFbay/

erik g

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Transmitting in digital is new to broadcasters as well as to the public. In my area, they start out slow..making some errors..but in time will come around to the right formats. Just give them some time. It took one station near me about 3-4 months to finally get it right. Now, they are looking just fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx guys for the feedback. Greywolf - I think I now understand why I do not get any signal when I go to the SD side, on the e86 (via Action button-8). I will have to look, but I bet I do not have a 2nd cable going to the TV.

Regards...Dave

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It took some time but several of us in the Seattle area emailed our local DTV stations and convinced them ALL to broadcast OAR 4:3 within the 16:9 window for SD content on HD broadcasts.

We're lucky here (I think) because several of the engineers monitor and post on this forum, so they could see the trend and desires easily.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've had my E86 for about a month now. I've got it hooked up to my tv by both component video and s-video connectors.

I watch true HD progamming in 1080i via the component video connection. I watch SD in 480p via s-video. At this point, local programming is not done all that well in HD (or upconverted SD in some cases). I watch local news, etc. in SD. I watch network HD in HD and Directv HD in HD. It's the best solution I've found with my system. I don't like stretched mode (either horizontal or vertical). I don't like cropped mode. I like widescreen material in true widescreen in original aspect ratio, even if that means letterboxing. I hate pan & scan. I like 4:3 in it's original format too. I want to see that the director intended me to see.

Hopefully the local stations will get up to speed ASAP and do a better job on their original material being broadcast via HD or DTV. Right now, it's not really up to stuff. In fact, sometimes they forget to flip the switch and broadcast true HD shows in upconverted, zoomed and cropped. It happens to Jay Leno far too often here. I hope they get their act together soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just hooked up an e86 to a Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY as well as a progressive dvd player all via components cables (through my receiver).

The picture I am receiving in the Panasonic from Directv is awful. It is too large and fuzzy. I think it lies in what greywolf said that 1080i is the only available choice in component hookup. Put together that and the fact that I am not able to switch ASPECT controls during component input signal, I think is my problem.'

If I switch to S-video will I be able to resolve my problem?

I am quite new to all of this so any ideas are appreciated.

thanks,

Jason

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It sounds like your E-86 is set to crop non HD sources. Go into the E-86 setup menu and see if you can change from crop to side panel or full. If you want to use the TV's screen manipulation, an S-Video connection and changing the Hughes output to 480i will allow it.

If you go to side panel, make sure your contrast is turned down or you could have an image burn in problem down the line. See other threads about calibrating your TV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks greywolf, I will try the first option right now of going into the E-86 menu and let you know how that goes.

The calibration of the tv seems that it is not only a one shot deal but many continuous tweaks, though there is quite a bit of information to begin with.

Lastly, you ever eat at "That Little Mexican Cafe" in Evanston? I am not far from you and my wife, who is from Mexico City, just loves that place.

Thanks for the tips,

Jason

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I haven't. My palate seems to have ruled out anything with color or taste. Foods most people find boring keep me happy and I have difficulty handling what I consider stronger tastes and smells. There's a dead mouse somewhere in the insulation in a very cold attic right now and I'm the only one in the house that knows it. How's that for too much info?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.