AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this receiver at my local Best Buy for $479. It is a new receiver that the store just got in. Is this a good deal for this receiver and does the receiver have a reputation for good reliability? Would you buy it if you were in the market for one?

Thanks,

Devin

·
Registered
140 Posts
cozbyrt,

I haven't had my e86 long, but I like it so far. Hughes also makes the Toshiba and Mitsubishi boxes from the same design as the e86 although the toshiba may not have all the features of the Hughes according to some. Just the fact that 2 other manufactures felt that the Hughes design was good enough for them and I'm not aware of any other brand having a design that is adopted by others meant something to me.

$479 is a good price!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Devin: I've tried the Sony HD receiver and have both the Hughes and RCA receivers now, and in my opinion, the Hughes is by far the best of these 3. I can't speak to the Panasonic or Samsung receivers because I've never used them. But the Hughes has some outstanding features and is very easy to use. At $479, that is a great buy. There were some issues with the Advanced Program Guide on the Hughes but they seemed to have repaired whatever was wrong and I couldn't be happier with my Hughes' performance now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I played with my new E86 last night and these are the conclusions I have drawn:

1. In 480i mode, it will only send an S-Video signal.

2. In 1080i mode, it will only send a component signal.

3. To switch modes, you have to go about 3 levels deep in the menu and change it. (Couldn't find any fetch type setup which I had on my old rca sd box).

4. HDTV is unreal. The depth of color is astounding.

Please let me know if any of this is not the case.

Thanks,

Fletch

·
Registered
144 Posts
To change form 480i to 1080i key in "Action" then "Input" on the remote. The 480i is only available through S-Video/composit/RF outs and 1080i is only available through the component out. No 1080i & 480i simultaneously.

The "fetch" feature you mentioned on your RCA could be similar to what Hughes calls "watchword". To access it hit the "guide" key twice and use the arrow keys to highlight "watchword" and hit "enter". It's fairly easy to use.

:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got this receiver a few weeks ago (Mitusbshi replaced my HD-5 because of the guide issue with this unit since they don't make them anymore) and can not get it to receive an of the OTA HD channels. I have rescanned at least 10 times and it will not pickup OTA HD. With the HD-5 I had no problem picking up the OTA HD. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Are you getting the analog OTA channels? Which Antenna input are you using, the split satellite/cable input, or the Antenna In jack?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Find out what channel they are broadcasting on (in my case channel 16-1 is on channel 30), and go to setup/installation/source and select "local digital" from the choices and hit select. Back at the Installation guide now, drop down one to Channel, and hit select. Arrow up the the physical channel the OTA station is digitally transmitting from, and see what you signal level is. That should confirm if your box is getting a signal at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.