AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Hughes E86 - the OTA channels begin to deteriorate the longer the unit is "on." First, channel 48 (NBC 4-1) in the Wash DC area goes from 100 down to zero to 6. Next, the signal strength for the lower level channels begin to deteriorate slowly and of course begin to break-up on-screen. I spoke to Hughes HD tech support - they said they have not heard of this problem. They want me to take the unit to a local authorized repair center to check it out. I talked to the local center and they indicated they would most likely replace the MB.

If I unplug the unit for 15 to 20 minutes and power it back on -- all the OTA channels are quite strong -- 48 registers a steady 100. My antenna is locked down and does not move -- connections, cables, etc. are fine.

I told them that the left side of the unit gets quite warm - actually an electronic monitor registers 125-130 F on top. The local center says that is not normal.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? . . and . .

How warm/hot does the top of your unit get?

Thanks - Rob.

PS: Unit began operation 3-2-02 and experienced this particular problem under 5046 and 5099. I continue to have guide problems under 5099 as reported earlier.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i'm no expert here, but i would guess its the unit heating up

do you have another component sitting on top of the E86?

i would maybe trying running a fan over the unit and see if you still

have the same problem.

the e86 does run hot. i don't have another component on top of it,

i don't use a fan, but it does get hot, and i have no problems

*knocks on wood*

·
Registered
532 Posts
That is exactly why I gave up on the Mitsubishi SR-HD5. After the unit was on for a while I would lose a station that is 55 miles away and at low power(WETA-DT in Arlington, VA.) I would unplug the unit and let it sit for a couple of hours and it would start receiving the station again. I really liked the APG and easy integration with my Mitsubishi HDTV but getting a station I really wanted made me go back to the DTC-100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having a similar problem with my local signal strength. When I use the installation menu, i get a signal of 100 on all three digital channels here in Las Vegas. I am using a conventional rooftop VHF antenna. When I switch to video on my Mits SR-HD5 receiver, the local signal is badly broken up in a few minutes. I go back to the installation menu, and my signal strength has dropped to 60-70 and is fluctuating all over the place. I unplug the antenna and plug it back in and viola back to 100! I've checked all my connections, but as soon as I switch to local video, the same thing happens again, and again. I've used both the diplexer and separate sat/ant cables, same problem. Any ideas out there on what is going on here? Dealer replaced my first receiver because wouldn't get locals at all after being on for a few days.

The other posts seem to indicate a thermal problem inherent in this model, will try a fan and see how that works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having a similar problem with my local signal strength. When I use the installation menu, i get a signal of 100 on all three digital channels here in Las Vegas. I am using a conventional rooftop VHF antenna. When I switch to video on my Mits SR-HD5 receiver, the local signal is badly broken up in a few minutes. I go back to the installation menu, and my signal strength has dropped to 60-70 and is fluctuating all over the place. I unplug the antenna and plug it back in and viola back to 100! I've checked all my connections, but as soon as I switch to local video, the same thing happens again, and again. I've used both the diplexer and separate sat/ant cables, same problem. Any ideas out there on what is going on here? Dealer replaced my first receiver because wouldn't get locals at all after being on for a few days.

The other posts seem to indicate a thermal problem inherent in this model, will try a fan and see how that works.

·
Registered
779 Posts
No problems here. My unit has been on (for the most part) for at least 6 months. Both D* and over the air Digital and Analog is fine. I am using a radio shack double bow tie and I have noticed that I have to adjust it sometimes based on atmospheric changes (multipath issues I think, I live on a hill side which I am sure doesn't help things). I have seen times where the signal meter jumps high and low it was just a function of proper antenna positioning. You might have a marginal box that is affected by heat or you just might have an antenna / connection problem. These STBs get warm, the Hughes uses passive cooling which I prefer, but you want to make sure you have proper ventilation as you would want with all your electronics.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mugs - Hughes had me take our E86 box to a local authorized repair center here in the Washington DC area. As soon as I described the problem the tech said we had a defective MB and needed to be replaced. He said they had run into a number of Hughes units w/ that problem. They replaced the MB, and so far, it's been good. The unit is on top of an open A/V stack on it's own shelf w/ open circulation around it. With 5099 and the guide problem apparently fixed it runs well now.

The unit does not cool properly - you should not have to use a fan. The temp on the top of the box, left side, directly over the tuning circuits, was running around 130F -- the replaced MB is about 115F.

I would suggest you call Mits. I don't know what their warranty policy is -- but, if you can I would ask that they ship you another box while you hold unto yours.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobNBill
Mugs - ... As soon as I described the problem the tech said we had a defective MB and needed to be replaced. ....
What is a MB?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem with my first unit. After experiencing the program guide bug I have gone through a few units (total 4)

All units that I had and the current one exhibited this behavior. Some units were worse then others.

My current box does well for the most part and I believe in that it is heat related. The units run HOT there is no denying that.

I recently installed a whisper cooling fan in the entertainment rack since the edition of the Pioneer VSX-49TX (inferno) I went 2 days without a fan and things really got hot. The frequency of the erratic signal increased on the local digital channels.

After installing the fan the frequency of the dropouts has lessened but still occur time to time.

For those who experience this often I would request a replacement unit

rbaldwin

·
Registered
813 Posts
My Hughes is on it's way to San Diego in return for a replacement. I lost the audio only for my NTSC stations. Everything else worked fine. My Hughes was running around 106 degrees. I don't know if heat caused the problem, but I've had two very similar problems. Last time (January) I was referred to a local service center who said heat might have been a possible cause. On a side note, he has still not been reimbursed by Hughes for the January. Hughes also made him front the $479 cost of the replacement motherboard. He won't take warranty work from Hughes anymore which is why my box is on the way to San Diego. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.