AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Hughes e86 receiver, and I am reading the manual online, and have a question.

Can I input my basic cable (STD) and OTA antenna at the same time ?

I thought it only has an input for OTA antenna, but I see you can input your cable as well.

That would be great if DirecTv, OTA and Cable where together on one guide!

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
i don't have this setup, but i believe that if you diplex the OTA and satellite signals on to one line (Sat In), and use the Ant In for the Cable - you can do it.

you also have to specify the local area in (1 & 2) in the Setup/Installation menu.

Kendal

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I have done it. Ksmith4 is correct. The sat and cableTV cable positions in his description can be switched too. If you need a cableTV box, all bets are off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
certainly you can diplex both into the one input. but i have to question when you do the set-up how this will effect things

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOA! This is awesome news!

Ok, to make sure I do this correctly. Let me run down what I have.

I have the KTI oval dish with aspen multi switch built in

And I have a seperate line run just for my ota

I also want to meantion I have a channel plus antenna amplifier I was going to try out on the ota - don't know if that effects the line if I diplex this line)

So I need to take my cable tv line, and split it in with either the sat line or my ota line ?

Doesn't make a difference on which 2 I combined ?

All these lines are run to my HT, so it doesn't make a difference which 2 to me. Which ever is best.

And no loss in quailty ?

I have a ChannelPlus Splitter/Combiner right here I could use :)

don't have a cable box...

Thanks for the help, boy my wife is going to be happy as well.

Gets a bit much switching through all these receivers...

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
You cannot diplex the OTA and cableTV line together. You need a diplexer to tie the sat cable to either the OTA cable or the cableTV cable and then connect the single side to the box's Sat in port. The remaining cable goes to the box's Ant in port. Again, a splitter will not work; you need a diplexer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I diplexed Adelphia Cable with Sat. on my DST-3000 and it worked fine. However, when Cable was upconverted to 1080i it was unwatchable. So I just ran it straight to the TV. I don't use it much on my main TV anyway so its no biggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.