AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get my local channels from DirecTV and OTA. I notice on most of my OTA digital channels the guide information shows up. On one channel it only seems to have guide information from Noon until 1:00am, then it just says "Sign Off". The other channel shows "Regular Schedule" in the guide all the time. Is there something wrong with my set-up or is this something these stations are doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
You are doing nothing wrong. The guide info comes from information provided to DirecTV from, according to what I've read here, a company called Zap2it. If they don't get the info or don't pass it on to DirecTV, you don't see it.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm guessing the channels you are referring to are PBS stations. I get the same program info in the Boston area from our PBS channel. The analog info ends at midnight, and the digital channel shows regular programming. However, all the other digitals show correct programming. All our digitals show up as XXXXDT vs. XXXX-DT. When the (-) was used, only "regular programming" showed in the guide. Once the (-) was removed, the guide info was correct.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Back when I was writing database programs, I once spent a day debugging a program that had a missing comma. If a database is written to provide data for XXXXDT and not XXXX-DT, XXXX-DT will not be found. It's obvious from the guide behavior that stations found in a scan and not found in the database will have their guide info default to "regular programming".

If the E86 is attached to a dish and running one of the last 2 versions of software, there is a good news/bad news joke involved. The good news is that many of the stations are hard coded into the software, show up without a scan, and the guide display is much faster. The bad news is that the hard coding is not always accurate, the soft coded stations tend to disappear, and having no zip code in the dish setup screen makes the hard coded stations inaccessable.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Benji
I'm guessing the channels you are referring to are PBS stations. I get the same program info in the Boston area from our PBS channel. The analog info ends at midnight, and the digital channel shows regular programming. However, all the other digitals show correct programming. All our digitals show up as XXXXDT vs. XXXX-DT. When the (-) was used, only "regular programming" showed in the guide. Once the (-) was removed, the guide info was correct.
One of the Channels is NBC the other is Fox.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Similar problem in Abilene, TX. One digital channel is listed under the wrong number. It used to be 12.1 but changed to 20.1 6 months ago. DirecTV has never changed the Guide. It still shows it at 12.1 even though there is "no signal" on that channel. Another digital channel is not listed at all, even though it has been on the air since November. I cannot find anyone at DirecTV who even knows what I am talking about. After reading this thread, I sent an email to Zap2it.com. I'll let you know if that helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe you can go into the menu on e-86 and turn off any local channels that you don't want to show up on the guide.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dch50
I believe you can go into the menu on e-86 and turn off any local channels that you don't want to show up on the guide.
YOu can also do that on the HD200, but if I do, I will not know what is on the channels DirecTV doesn't list. I have to use the listings for the analog stations to know what is on the corresponding digital since no programming is listed for the digitals. If DirecTV would fix this, I could delete the analog and incorrect listings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.