AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this receiver in person? Seen any reviews? I stumbled across it yesterday in my search for directv set top boxes and figured since Hughes makes the other boxes, ie mits and the others except the RCA I think, it should be very comparable and is cheaper. I got the receiver and the eliptical dish for $699. I could only find this receiver at 2 companies online, both with same price. I chose one over the other because they were offering a free professional grade component cable, an optical cable, s-video cable and rca cables. Not sure how good they will be, but I know they should be better than factory cables.

Anyway, if anyone has any info, I would be glad to hear it. And if anyone wants the websites where I found this, I would be happy to share. Just let me know.

Neal

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ken,

I have seen two other places. 2000networks.com and ********************* (this is where I ordered mine).

Both have the receiver plus the eliptical dish for 699. I ordered from **************** because of the free cables: one professional grade component, one optical, one s-video and an rca cable. These cables are supposed to be a 300 dollar value..no guarantee I guess, but for the same price, might as well get some extra cables. The should atleast be good enough to save me money of having to buy my own.

I also ordered from here because I talked to them on the phone..they were very courteous and didn't mind all my questions. I was probably on the phone 25 minutes or so total.

Hope this helps,

Good luck with your decisions as well.

Neal

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Has anyone actually RECEIVED one of these yet? Hughes insiders have told me their OEM agreements with Mits and Toshiba require them to build units for their OEMs first, then for themselves. I really doubt that Mits and Toshiba's inventories are large enough for Hughes to switch over to manufacturing their own boxes.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich,

I haven't seen it, but I know of 3 places that are selling it now. I'm not sure about your insider information...I hope these places selling it are not misleading..mine is supposed to ship to me on Tuesday.

Neal

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been to Value Electronics. It's a small place, but Rob knows his stuff and is good at helping you out. I was going to get my Titan from him, but with so few specs available on it I went for the Sony and got it elsewhere (Crutchfield). I like the Hughes menus on my E45 much better though, especially being able to "group" your favorites together into unlimited capacity sets (EG... All Channels, Dave TV, Suzy's Chick Channels, etc.) this makes it really easy to surf through what you normally watch and just hit a button and see all the PPV's when you feel like ordering, etc.

And their 7 and 9 line guides are quick and easy to read.

Dave

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

So you have been to their actual store? I ordered my Titan this morning and Robert is supposed to get the shipment in Tuesday and ship it out to me. Is it pretty safe to say I will get mine when I'm supposed to?

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
100 Posts
Neal,

I was at the store this past Saturday. It's a very small operation; but for me, they were close and I needed to get an eliptical dish quickly knowing my Sony HD100 would be delivered that day (dish was $139).

But this being my only purchase, I can't really speak for their long term reliability. I know that the Value Electronics website has pretty much updated their shippinng estimate almost weekly for the Titan. I know this because I was on their list for the Titan for a while. I'm still on it in case the Sony doesn't work out (but so far, so good).

My OPINION is that Rob seems honorable. He is very thorough explaining stuff to you, and they have a tech support phone number.

But the salesman at Crutchfield explained to me that when a company gives an actual ship date for a product, they are legally required to honor that date. If not, they are subject to fines. This is why Sony does not give exact dates. I don't know how this would apply to a retail store like VE, but the way it was explained to me seemed to imply that they can't legally say a date unless they have been told that by the company, in this case Hughes. But Hughes doesn't have to give a date either... the boxes could just start shipping.

I hope something in this reply helps.

Dave

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I may call him back later today, because my dish and additional receiver were supposed to ship today and he was supposed to email me the tracking number. Plus, I emailed him right after I talked to him to ask a few more questions without trying to take up to much of his time.

I guess if I don't hear anything by later tonight or tomorrow and may call and give a check up.

Thanks again,

Neal

·
Registered
164 Posts
pgatour,

There are some senior members in this forum who do in fact have a HUGHES E-86 with no problems, the bad unit RETURNS caused Hughes to investigate and found faults in above returned. I had one on order for awhile also from Orbitsat and I was told that all were sent back (ordered by Hughes) for the (HeatDark Picture problems, *due to bad lot of memory chips) all were supposed to be re-released after re-checking and bench testing of these units. I was told this 3 weeks ago. I canceled the order and since then I snagged the Toshiba DST-3000, I would have waited longer but the rebate time clock was ticking and so far (with fingers crossed) no problems. The e-86 was my first choice, and if you look around on the net you can find some information on this model.

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Graphics,

I have done a little looking around, and have found 3 companies that are selling it right now. I haven't been able to locate any information except from these 3 sites. I mean Hughes doesn't even mention it on their site..what are they, like a year behind?

Neal

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, can any of the senior members that might read this post please give me your opinions of the receiver. I would appreciate anything you can provide me.

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have the receiver, which I received directly drop shipped from the factory in Mexico, not from any retailer. I've had it a little over a month I guess.

It works fine. It's basically the same from a performance standpoint as the Mits and Toshiba boxes, so you can read those reviews for more details http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I found it to have slightly worse local reception than the RCA DTC100, but it's a close call. It does lock in faster than the RCA, and is of course better integrated with the DirecTV guide. I wish it had two true dual antenna inputs as the RCA does, rather than having one input diplexed with the sat input, but that's fairly minor.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. How is the antenna input diplexed, not real sure what that means?? How does this effect things? Is this a bad feature?

Neal

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Neal,

The Hughes/Toshiba/Mits boxes have two antenna inputs, but one of them is shared with the satellite input. In order to use it both as a satellite input and an off-air antenna input you need to use a diplexor which combines the signals on one end and separates them out on the other. If you need two separate off-air antenna inputs it's not as convenient to use as the RCA DTC100. This is not a crucial issue, especially if you just have one off-air antenna.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ferguson:

I found it to have slightly worse local reception than the RCA DTC100, but it's a close call. It does lock in faster than the RCA, and is of course better integrated with the DirecTV guide. I wish it had two true dual antenna inputs as the RCA does, rather than having one input diplexed with the sat input, but that's fairly minor.
It will probably depend on the nature of the multipath. In my situation the Toshiba version completely outperformed the DTC-100 OTA.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, with my house location I am just hoping to get any kind of performance from over the air.

I ordered the Hughes, hopefully it will be shipping to me on Tuesday (i'm not going to cross my fingers though)

Neal

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ordered from them about a week ago. I'm supposed to be getting my extra receiver and dish in on wednesday. And I just got a call from them also and the receivers aren't in yet, but should be coming in tomorrow afternoon.

I am quite happy about everything so far, I can't say I have any complaints. I can understand why you might be a little upset, but it seems that if they haven't taken your money, I believe they can change the price legally. Technically, as much as you may not like to hear it, it sounds to me as if you made a pre-order and there are no price guarantees on pre-orders. Trust me, I would be quite unhappy as well, but I think that the price adjustment is justified. I doubt that they just raised to price to increase profits...their price probably went up as well.

In my opinion, 799 is still a great price for this combo. You can't get a set top box and eliptical dish combo anywhere for 799, you can barely get the set top box for that price..unless you get the RCA.

I got mine for 699, but only because I am a first time subscriber to Directv and they get a 100 commission from Directv for the sale to cover the discount.

I think they are a great company and probably don't deserve to be butchered all over the boards. But then again, you can only do what you think is right.

Neal

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it seems you have more of a case. I have not yet been charged for anything, and like I said, my dish and extra receiver are already on the way (ups tracking #'s and everything). I guess I really don't have any advice. If you were told that your price would hold, then it should, especially if you have put some money up front. I still think you might call and explain things to Robert Zohn, I believe he is the owner. He was my salesman and its also his name on the email if you contact them that way. See if you can work something with him before flaming the forums and turning them into Directv. Since he is in control, he might be able to take care of things for ya.

I'm not sure about being authorized to sell Directv stuff, but I would imagine so.

Neal

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had to bump this...need some help.

Anyone that has used the Hughes Titan..will standard satellite channels look better upconverted by the set top box or doubled by my Mits internal doubler? I'm kinda hoping that the answer is for the set top box, so I can attenuate the red on every input to my tv except vcr.

Thanks for any help,

Neal

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
There are some senior members in this forum who do in fact have a HUGHES E-86 with no problems, the bad unit RETURNS caused Hughes to investigate and found faults in above returned.
OK, I am going to ask this again. Other than Jim and perhaps others who were Beta testers (correct me if I am wrong on that point), has anyone anywhere actually received one of these from a retailer yet?

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.