AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got both units as well. I find that the Hughes pulls in a much stronger signal with the same hookups. I like the Hughes feature that integrates the OTA and DTV signals consecutively in the program guide. In other words, you don't have to switch inputs between Directv and off-the-air like you do with the RCA. I also like the Caller ID feature. It's also smaller, more stylish, and doesn't require the VGA adapter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Where can i find an E-86 for $499???

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dirk1843
Where can i find an E-86 for $499???
Tweeter stores are currently selling the Hughes E-86 for $499. If you don't have one in your area you may be able to buy it online at Outpost.com.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Thanks...........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try ABT Electronics, $499 & Free Shipping. I just got one from them. They have really good customer service. They ship fast and have really good communication.

Just a note, the box I received was brand new but would not read the access card correctly. I called abt and they cross shipped me a new box the same day (with a credit card) with no hassles. Their return process is totally automated via their website. I'll definitely buy from them again.

ABT Electronics

BE

·
Registered
63 Posts
My experience has only been with the Hughes E86. With the latest patch update (5099) and the DirecTV guide corrected - it is a great little box.

My only reservation is the unit’s ability to continually and consistently receive OTA channels uniformly -- that is with a consistent strong signal -- one that does not fade the longer the unit is on. I have had the board replaced in my E86 to correct a problem -- the signal strength of the OTA channels began to fade the longer the unit was actually powered on. According to the tech from the local repair center, they see this problem frequently and said it was due to a bad board. I feel (I am not an engineer) that the problem is heat-related. My box gets quite hot on top (left side). For the record, it is on the top shelf, by itself, on an open A/V rack with a lot of clearance.

I am already having a problem with the replaced board. OTA channels are again beginning to fade. If I power-off the box and / or unplug it for 20 or so minutes, when I power the unit back on -- all the OTA channels are again very strong -- in most cases either at 100 or 93. I have been leaving the unit powered-on. However, I'll change my Pronto to power it on when we turn the “system†on and off when we power the “system†off. That may help alleviate the problem somewhat. Unfortunately, the E86 only has a power toggle – no discrete codes that I can find. I intend to contact Hughes again and ask for a long-term resolution. If I could find a small external fan to attach to the box to help cool it – I would do that -- I just cannot seem to find one.

Other than running into this potential problem -- you will like the unit.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobNBill
If I could find a small external fan to attach to the box to help cool it – I would do that -- I just cannot seem to find one.
I bought a small computer fan from Radio Shack. It has bare ended wires. I also bought a power cord. I spliced the power cord to the fan wires and have been running the fan across my Toshiba DST-3000 (the same as the Hughes) for months.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I suspect that 99% of the receivers are just fine and dandy. Now if you want to stuff your "Set Top Box" into a cabinet you may have a problem. Mine is sitting on the Top of the Set and has never had a problem of this nature.

So don't expect that this is going to be a problem because it most likely won't. In fact box is only warm to the touch not hot. My Xbox runs a whole bunch hotter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you read through the posts on the Hughes/ Mits/Toshiba boxes over the past year, you will find a number of complaints about excessive heat and problems with reception of OTA channels. I'm on a second motherboard and the tech said they have seen a number of these units with heat problems. Maybe the chances are small -- on the other hand considering the number of posts that report these problems -- maybe the chances are good you will have a problem.

Again, my unit is on the top of an open A/V stack, on it's own shelf, with wide open clearance around it. When the unit is only 'warm' and the OTA channels are not fading -- it's really great. A fan sitting on top of the unit pulling air out does keep it cool w/ no channel deterioration -- but, it's too noisy to use. I'm going to see if Hughes will replace it with a new unit.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I do feel sorry for the people that have had problems and there have been a lot of reported issues. I wonder though if you see a higher number of reports on this box (all three) simply because it is popular and there are lots of participants with this style box.

The way RobNBill state the problem it actually sounds more like a power supply problem than a mother board problem. I hope they step up and replace your unit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good point -- it is a popular box. I hope they replace it too -- I just don't like arguing with the CSR's. They go thru the same routine every time. The cooling fan now on top of the unit causes an odd smell to come out -- who knows -- maybe it's the PS. It just irks me that a second board is doing the same thing. The symptoms are similar -- all OTA channels deteriorate the longer the unit is on. With the original board deterioration started at the higher OTA channels and worked it's way down the line. I'll post 'final' results after I talk to Hughes.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobNBill
Bill Broderick: Is that a 110v or 6-9v fan? I would guess that you placed the fan on top of the unit. Are you blowing air into it? or are you sucking it out?

Thanks - Rob.
It's a 110v fan. The fan is positioned vertically on the left side of the STB blowing across the top of the box. I don't remember if there are vent holes on the side of the STB or not. If there are, then the fan is also blowing air into the left side of the STB.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.