AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just upgrade my SAT receiver to Hughes HD Platinum receiver Model: HIRD-E86. I also purchased a SAT-C kit at goodguys. After I completed the installation on the Hughes Dish, and I realized that there was a problem.

• On Sattellite A at 101 – There are strong signals on “even†transponder but 0 on “oddâ€

• On Satellite B at 119 – Absolute no signal at all

• On Satellite C at 110 - Absolute no signal at all

I can only view certain channel that using even transponder. I went further and remove the Sat-C but the problem remains. I have 18 x 24 Hughes Dish. Thank you for your inputs.

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
Sounds like there's something else between your receiver and the 3LNB oval dish. Need some more information:

Brand of dish. Integrated multiswitch or not?

Any other multiswitches in the line? Powered or not powered.

Other receivers you may be using in other parts of the house.

Any splitters in the line? ANYwhere.

Diplexed OTA signals?

Length of cable run from E-86 to dish.

Sat receivers use one voltage to select even transponders, another voltage to select odd. HD and Plus receivers send a 22khz tone upstream to a dual-satellite multiswitch to select 101 or 110/119. Something's prohibiting that voltage change and the tone from reaching the multiswitch.

We see this a lot when people try to cascade multiswitches. In other words, there's one built into the oval dish and it's feeding a second one (one not designed to be used in a dual-sat cascade) somewhere in the house.

Doc

·
Registered
165 Posts
A similar thing happened to me when I installed my Sat-C lnb. The problem turned out to be a bent center conductor on the cable connecting the Sat-C lnb to the C/B splitter (actually where it connected to the Sat C lnb). For some reason, this took both B and C out. I didn't check the Sat A even/odd strength so I can't confirm those results.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
Mike..

Since B and C are combined, the voltage drop from having the center connector grounded took both of them out. Depending on the configuration (switches, multiswitches, etc) something that simple could indeed take the whole thing down.

Doc

·
Registered
165 Posts
Doc,

Thanks for the info.

Shagon,

My problem went away when I removed the sat-c and reset the receiver (hughes clone) back to the 2 satellite configuration. Of course, it also went away when I fixed the cable :)

MIke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.