AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My questions are can I watch analog local channels through my component video cables on any of these STBs? Or is it just local digital channels? Will the local analog channels be upconverted to 1080i? And finally, how would I change from Directv channels to my local channels? Do I just enter in 004 or 013, or do I use an input select on the remote?

Any information will be appreciated. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

P.S. -- I have downloaded all 3 manuals from Directv, but I can't find this information. I did however find it in the RCA STB manual very easily.

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Premium Member
7,156 Posts
All channels all the time, and unlike the DTC-100 you do not have to change input sources. Th integrated guide will do all switching automatically AND include guide data on all channels, including those that do not have local satelite equivalents. You tailor the guide to show what you want.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ferguson:
Yes, you can see the analog channels via the receiver. They will be upconverted to 1080I.
Jim is correct. In HD mode over component they will be upconverted, in SD mode (not over component) they will be native rate.

Tim

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx to all! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But...

I have another question, why do you get a better picture with the 480p upconvert than the 1080i upconvert? I have a VCR and a HDTV, so how will I run the two analog sound outputs to the TV, VCR, and the DTV input?

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I own an E86. Yes, you can watch all channels through component video, however, with my setup the 480i channels have better picture quality viewed through S-video than component. I only watch HD broadcasts with the component video inputs.

------------------

Ron

·
Premium Member
7,156 Posts
You do not get 480p from regular cable/TV (unless your TV upconverts) using the S-Video out. 480i only.

I keep all sources in 1080i upconvert, there are seperates threads on this. Even though I'm Pronto driven, it's easier to leave it in HD over components.

For your sound sources suggest you use a receiver, but all the OTA analog, OTA digital, and cable will go through the STB outs if they go into the STB.

Tim

[This message has been edited by rudolpht (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run all of my audio direct from the E86 to a Denon 3801 A/V receiver via the digital audio cable. I then use my home theater speakers for all video channels both analog and digital. I don't use the speakers on the tv. My particular tv set doesn't have as good of picture quality through the HD input with 480i channels, so I switch to the S-Video for analog and standard definition channels. I only switch to 1080i for high definition channels, i.e. ch.509 HBO.

------------------

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.