AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Mits WS55807 for about 6wks and have been using a standard Hughes DirecTV receiver but heard that Hughes has just come out with a HDTV receiver that uses component video outputs and optical digital audio. Since I been stuck with just DVD to get great pics I'm interested if anyone has knows anything about the new Hughes HIRD-86 receiver

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It has gotten pretty good reviews and has been out for a couple of months. You can get it from www.**************.com for $547.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had a Hughes HD STB for about 2 months. I am very satisfied with it. I would highly recommend this box.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have had the Hughes box for about 2 months now. I think it is a great box, and I can highly recommend it. HD is stunning.

Neal

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just picked up a copy of Widescreen Review last night because they had a test of both the Mits HD400 and the Toshiba DST-3000. I only skimmed the Toshiba review, but they said in the Mits review that the two receivers, as well as the Hughes, were essentially the same unit, built by Hughes. They rated the the Mits very well and said that it was a value at the price.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Chick:
The Hughes receiver is also known as the Toshiba DST-3000 and the Mitsubishi SR-HD5 (sold in HD400 and HD500 kits). Hughes builds them and they just put their own logos on, so get your best price on any of these three and don't worry about the brand name. Tony
The Widescreen Review review of the Mits HD5 said that the Advance Program Guide pulled together all available signals from all receiver inputs. It was also fully integrated with Mits HD TVs and would send a signal to the TV to automatically switch the input based upon which channel you selected in the APG. I'm doubtful that the Hughes or Toshiba units would do that with a Mits TV.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
893 Posts
Actually, the Hughes won't change inputs (in my case s-video and component) based on the channel I select, but when I push 'Action' and then 'Input' on the Hughes remote, it switches the Hughes between 480i and 1080i and also changes to the appropriate input on the Tv. I have a Mits 46807. I didn't know the Hughes box did this when I bought it, but it was nice not to have to switch the input on both the box and the TV.

Neal

·
Registered
893 Posts
Also, the Hughes box will combine the inputs into the same guide. In my case I have satellite and antenna. All my local OTA channels are combined with the directv channels. Its a great box.

Neal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, especially "GScott" that is the best price I'd been able to find (by $100)...sounds like I'll be going with this STB since all my DirecTV Satellite equip is Hughes, and in fact they're HQ is 1/2 mile from my house!

·
Registered
688 Posts
thanks for all the info gentlemen, especially Neal (nice feature integrating OTA + Sat channels)...i've been debating a STB since last week as i'll be receiving a hughes dish soon.

i did not know the mits/tosh/hughes all orig. from hughes! in hindsight, all their faceplates were the same.

i have 3 questions though

1) what antennae are you using OTA in conjuction w/your 18x24 dish? hd or ntsc or combo?

2) has anyone actually compared the RCA vs. Hughes?

3) HDBob - anychance you could post your eval once you've received the Hughes? thanks
f>

------------------
Vuf>
radeon htpc

denon avr-3300

denon dvd-2500

mitsubishi ws-55805

monitor audo silver series
s>

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomF:
I'm doubtful that the Hughes or Toshiba units would do that with a Mits TV.
Tony is correct, the difference is all the feeds are through the STB, not through the set. As the box upconverts to 1080i or downconverts all to an SVideo out, depending on what the box is set to (and thus the input to the set).

In other words,

OTA Digital (all formats)

OTA Analog

DirecTV standard definition

DirecTV HD

all go through the STB and output HD or SD

All the boxes are the same in this regard, e.g., a Toh with a MITS TV works fine. The biggest difference is how the remote is pre-programmed.

Tim

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am using the Channel Master 3019 antenna. I'm about 45 miles from the towers in Dallas, and I wanted to make sure I would get the signal. Just happened when I went to Lowes to check them out, the guy working there lived about 55 miles from the towers and was using the 3019, so I figured if he's getting it, that gives me a great chance also. I probably could have gotten a smaller one, but at 45 miles, weather has yet to knock my signal completely out.

Neal

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Hughes receiver is also known as the Toshiba DST-3000 and the Mitsubishi SR-HD5 (sold in HD400 and HD500 kits). Hughes builds them and they just put their own logos on, so get your best price on any of these three and don't worry about the brand name.

Note also that you will need the eliptical 24" dish to get the HDTV channels as they are on the 119 degree satellite.

Tony

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guys,

How many channels are you able to receive OTA with your STB? I know here in Dallas our local channels are broadcasting in HDTV but I didn't know DirectTV was also broadcasting in HD. Am I understanding that right or have I missed a step along the way? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, got the new Hughes STB in yesterday and WOW!!! never knew 1080i was that much better than 480P(DVD)...did have a minor startup "prob".. called DirectTV who after a few mintues transferred me to Hughes---I was getting nothing but blue screen--ends up they had me hit the up arrow and guide buttons at same time on the STB then WOW there it was in all it's glory...yes Michael in Arlington, DirecTV has the HD demo loop on chl 199 and HBO HD on chl 509....Now if I can just get the local DC area HD broadcast I'm in business...so far I see the local digital chls (7-1, 9-1,etc) but no programming appears in the guide nor comes in and last nite CSI should have come in as HD on the CBS 9-1 chl but couldnt get it...will play with it some today or call DirecTV to see wassup!

Bob http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

·
Registered
780 Posts
Make sure you tell the box your Zip code and the name of the cable company that services your area even if you don't have cable. That should get your local guides & channel mapping from the Satellite, which the Hughes boxes use rather than PSIP.

If you can't get 9.1 after that, try manually tuning to whatever the actual UHF frequency is.

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I just recently purchased a Replaytv 5040 & I want to hook it up to a Mitsubishi HD500(with the Mits HD WS55857 TV) & the last time I tried this with aTIVO it crapped out. I couldn't't get the TIVO to work with the Mits HD 500 satellite. If anyone has experience setting up a Replaytv 5040 w/ a Mist HD500 HD Sat box...... I would be interested.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
mstewa, you might want to start a new thread with a title that describes your need, rather than leaving your question buried at the end of this thread.

Just a suggestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.