AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I awoke this morning and decided to watch a couple of my shows on Revision3 through my Roku Box. As I always do, I went to the channel section to see if there were any new channels added and when I backed out to the main screen I noticed that Hulu + is no longer just an icon. I followed the onscreen directions and it is indeed up and working on the Roku now. Quality was good but I only checked out a couple of shows and not in their entirety. Anyway, glad to see it finally up.

·
Registered
781 Posts
supposed to be $7.99 a month.

They charge you 9.99 and you get a 2.00 credit on your next bill...

TYPICAL BS

anyone know what the channel line up is?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Everything available on Hulu "IS NOT" available on Hulu Plus, unfortunately.

I am guessing they are hoping that for $7.99 you get the last 5 of everything.

BUT to get anything else we will charge you out the A

OVER AND OVER

I bet in the next weeks they will get MASSIVE sign ups but in the end it will fail.

wow 7episodes and 94 clips....can't wait ROFL

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to say, I have not used the service prior to it appearing on Roku. I was very impressed with it, being able to catch some shows I missed like "No Ordinary Family" then I started searching for some content and found out what you are all discussing here. I am subscribed to Hulu PLUS but can't watch certain programming because it is WEB STREAMING ONLY?!? What the??? That is unfortunate. I wish things had been made more clear. I was really looking forward to the service as a nice addition to Netflix Instant Streaming but if you have to go online for certain content, I can't see that as a success. The quality is great, I must say, when compared against my DirecTV HD DVR. I compared an episode of "The Good Guys" that was saved to my DVR with the same episode playing through the Roku box and the "HD" was better to our eyes on our bedroom set, anyway (Runco CM43 CinemaWall Plasma). That probably says more about how bad HD really is on Direct than how good it is from the Roku. And I know some consider 720p not really HD, especially when you look at a spectacular BD in true 1080p but that was not my point so I don't want to get into that discussion

All in all, though - happy to see it on the Roku but totally disgusted with the fact that some content is computer only. Until that gets sorted out I have to give Hulu + a B - !

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I tried PlayOn but the PQ is horrible on my HDTV, the PQ of HD on Hulu Plus is very good so I think I will continue to subscribe. However I wish Hulu had a three tier system:

Hulu: ad based that can only be viewed online.

Hulu Plus: limited commercials and most content can be viewed on any device.

Hulu Premium: no commercials and all content can be viewed on any device.

I appreciate they dropped the price $2 but I would rather have no commercials and all of the content, it sucks I can't watch Human Target and Jimmy Kimmel on my HDTV.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
I would pay for Hulu on my TV, but not Hulu Plus as it currently stands. Maybe in the future.

I will say this. Hulu via PlayOn through Roku is not as good as direct streaming Hulu Plus.

Keep working on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity
I will say this. Hulu via PlayOn through Roku is not as good as direct streaming Hulu Plus.
Hulu via PlayOn will never be as good as Hulu Plus as long as they distinguish these two products. Hulu content is intended for viewing on computers only and they limit the quality (among other measures) to discourage viewing Hulu content on a TV. I liked the concept of PlayOn but the quality loss is a deal breaker for me.

Trying out Hulu Plus on a Roku right now and the quality is pretty impressive and the ads are short enough not to bother me. I don't watch a lot of network content but for $5 a month I'd probably subscribe.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
What I am saying is that I would subscribe to Hulu Plus at $10 a month if they had the entire Hulu catalog available at Hulu Plus quality.

Between Hulu Plus limited catalogue at higher quality and $8 a month and the somewhat quirky PlayOn implementation of regular Hulu, Ill take the later. Until they beef up Hulu Plus enough to make the switch.

Content is King.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts