AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying out Hulu Plus. They currently have a free trial offer going. It streams in very nice 720p HD.

But in the words of Alvin Quatermain (Sean Connery in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), "I'm waiting to be impressed."

It's gonna be $8 a month, but we'll still have to sit through commercials and can't skip them. I already knew that going in, so I guess I can't b*tch too much, but OMG, the way it's handled is soooo clunky.

On my Sony BX37 player, I pick a TV episode, previous night's Jay Leno...

Player shows "loading advertisement," player plays NBC logo, player shows "loading advertisement," player plays "this program is brought to you with limited commercial interruption by (sponsor)," player shows "loading advertisement," player plays commercial, player shows "loading episode," player plays 10 minutes of episode, player shows "loading advertisement," player plays commercial, player shows "loading episode," player plays another 10 minutes of episode, player shows "loading advertisement," Bob says "The Hell with this," Bob hits stop button on remote.

And that's not even counting the couple of times it said "The network is down" and I had to hit the "Retry" button.

And then there's the fact that LOTS of shows available on the FREE Hulu at hulu.com are NOT available on the Hulu Plus that we're expected to pay for. Talk about a major "WTF?"

I'll give 'em credit for one thing, though. Unlike St. Louis local NBC affiliate kSDk, Hulu Plus does the audio for Jay Leno right. Leno's monologue comes from the center channel like it should, and there's studio crowd noise in the rears as there should be. That alone may make the $8 a month worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's not that clunky on the ROKU box. If I watch an ABC show, for example, it gives me the ABC logo splash, then goes directly to "this program brought to you with limited commercial interuption, yada, yady" then goes to the ad or ads, then straight to the show. Some "commercial breaks" are 1 minute, so 15 seconds. It's the same as what you describe, but without the "loading episode" or "loading advertisement" messages.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl /forum/post/19595979

And then there's the fact that LOTS of shows available on the FREE Hulu at hulu.com are NOT available on the Hulu Plus that we're expected to pay for. Talk about a major "WTF?"

This is the major deal breaker for me, clearly they are discouraging "cord cutting" by offering an incomplete catalog of network content. There's really no other excuse for offering some programs and not others. $5 a month would be more reasonable for offering mostly stuff you can watch free OTA. I don't actually mind the ads except when watching several short video clips in a row.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl /forum/post/19595979

And then there's the fact that LOTS of shows available on the FREE Hulu at hulu.com are NOT available on the Hulu Plus that we're expected to pay for. Talk about a major "WTF?".

Yeah - now that is my MAJOR gripe so far with the service.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just tried this out today on the PS3--didn't take me long to decided that it was in no way worth the $8/month they were asking. Indifferent PQ and AQ and unimpressive selection--I'm not sure what if anything I'd be willing to pay for it. I deleted it and canceled my trial.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.