AVS Forum banner
181 - 200 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
On 'McCartney 3 2 1' ..

I watched The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show way, way back in the 1960's .. I was a fan from that moment on ..

Slogging thru this documentary was a bit of a chore .. Rick Ruben pandering to Paul constantly, exclaiming how great the bass lines were, etc .. Sir Paul soaking it up and making it appear he was the one and only creative force behind The Beatles ..

I am taking nothing away from Sir Paul or Rick Ruben .. both are great in their own right .. as a musician myself in those long ago days, John, Paul, George and Ringo were an inspiration ..

However, this piece, IMO, came off as just another way for Sir Paul to cement his legacy .. not that he needs to, but his ego is what it is ..

This is the same guy who beefed in the past about credit going to Lennon/McCartney rather than McCartney or McCartney/Lennon on selected songs ..

Maybe I saw things wrong, maybe I didn't .. but, these 6 episodes came off, to me anyway, as a McCartney Infomercial ..
The target audience for this series was undoubtedly musicians. Being one myself I very much enjoyed tales of how ideas and special playing techniques were developed. I binged all six episodes in one night and recommended it to other musician friends (most who unfortunately do not have Hulu).

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
The target audience for this series was undoubtedly musicians. Being one myself I very much enjoyed tales of how ideas and special playing techniques were developed. I binged all six episodes in one night and recommended it to other musician friends (most who unfortunately do not have Hulu).
as I mentioned ::

'as a musician myself'

I'm not taking away from the various techniques / track examinations, etc .. my point is simply the tone of the series as I saw it .. Ruben pandering, Sir Paul basking in the glow ..

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
as I mentioned ::

'as a musician myself'

I'm not taking away from the various techniques / track examinations, etc .. my point is simply the tone of the series as I saw it .. Ruben pandering, Sir Paul basking in the glow ..
Hard to say where it would have gone if Paul hadn't had someone to steer the discussion. Do you remember the interview of Paul by his daughter years ago? :)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
So I just got the Chromecast with Google TV and set it up.

Apparently Hulu doesn't show which of their shows are in 4K or HDR.

I thought Handmaid's Tale was suppose to be and looking at it, I can't really tell if it is.

I searched "4K" and it showed some moon landing documentaries which had "4K" in the title or description so I tried playing one of them, definitely sharper and bright.

Then again, I guess Hulu isn't supporting 4K on all devices yet.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts

I think 4K HULU support on the newer Chromecast with Google TV is still a work in progress.

On the Roku and Fire TV platforms you get the 4K badge noted in the HULU help section for 4K content. (HULU Originals and newer FX on HULU content.)

Hulu with 4K Ultra HD
While Hulu’s library of 4K Ultra HD supported content continues to grow, at this time it’s limited to a select list of programming, including most Hulu Originals. A badge
ultra hd
will appear on the details page of a TV show or movie, when 4K Ultra HD is available.

HD programming can be watched on most supported devices with the latest Hulu app. 4K Ultra HD programming is currently available on:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

Apparently Hulu doesn't show which of their shows are in 4K or HDR.

I thought Handmaid's Tale was suppose to be and looking at it, I can't really tell if it is.

I searched "4K" and it showed some moon landing documentaries which had "4K" in the title or description so I tried playing one of them, definitely sharper and bright.

Hulu doesn't appear to support beyond 1080p video on android/google TV devices as of yet.
You can check in the hulu app under the account section, the About info and it should show the max resolution supported for that device and app.

I have found the amazon firestick 4K device's hulu app does support 4K and 5.1 audio for a few titles like Handmaid's Tale all seasons.
I haven't found a way to search for 4K supported titles though.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
I watched "Nine Perfect Strangers" episode one last night. This David E Kelley show has quite a cast: Nicole Kidman, Michael Shannon, Samara Weaving and Bobby Cannavale among others. Seems to be maybe another take off on the "And Then There Were None" theme.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Seems to be maybe another take off on the "And Then There Were None" theme.
when I saw the title that's the first thing I thought of- the Agatha Christie '10 Little Indians' book...I'm not sure that's where this series is headed as the trailers make it look like some kooky cult story versus murder mystery...I would love to see a And Then There Were None type of series...which reminds me of Harper's Island

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
I watched "Nine Perfect Strangers" episode one last night. This David E Kelley show has quite a cast: Nicole Kidman, Michael Shannon, Samara Weaving and Bobby Cannavale among others. Seems to be maybe another take off on the "And Then There Were None" theme.
I watched 1 and 2 last night .. enjoyed it so far .. Kidman is weird in this one, Shannon and Cannavale I've always liked ..

·
Registered
8,968 Posts

I think some of the cast and producers were the same team behind Big Little Lies and other HBO limited series, though maybe BLL was owned by Reese Witherspoon's production company, which she's selling for a fortune to some private equity firm.

Poor Rottentomatoes score. Not in a hurry to watch, probably would check out Reservation Dogs before I'd watch this one.

·
Registered
25,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I wish Hulu would add HDR support...their 4K SDR quality is pretty good (1080p SDR also looks excellent) so having that extra HDR bump would push it over the top
They must have been listening!!
Hulu with HDR
Users can currently stream select Hulu originals in high-dynamic range (HDR), HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision on select devices — HDR content delivers a higher contrast range for much finer picture details. An HDR badge will appear on the details page of content available to stream in HDR.
It appears that HDR support has been added to most, but not all of the HULU Original content that was previously 4K.

HULU Originals: TV Series with HDR Badge
Nine Perfect Strangers - The Handmaid's Tale - Little Fires Everywhere - Dollface - Hellstrom - The Great - The First - High Fidelity - CastleRock - Wu-Tang - Future Man - Woke - The Looming Tower - The Act - Catch-22 - Reprisal - Four Weddings and a Funeral - The Runaways

HULU Originals: Movies with HDR Badge
RUN (2020) - Happiest Season - WeWork - Bad Hair (HDR but no 4K Badge) - The United States vs. Billie Holiday (HDR but no 4K Badge)

Browsed through the FX on HULU content and none of the existing 4K content seems to have HDR support. Hopefully that will come in the near future. 🤞

Sampled a few shows on a TCL Roku supported device and they look nice. Unfortunately, if your only 4K HDR device is a FTV4K Stick, HDR is not supported. HDR on HULU is only supported on Fire OS version 7 or later. Amazon is notorious for not upgrading Fire TV hardware to a major release number after launch. So, even though the FTV4K Stick is capable of 4K HDR it will likely remain on Fire OS version 6.2.xxx and unless HULU changes their HDR support position, it may never be available on the current FTV4K Stick device.

Hulu with 4K Ultra HD
While Hulu’s library of 4K Ultra HD supported content continues to grow, at this time it’s limited to a select list of programming, including most Hulu Originals. A badge
ultra hd
will appear on the details page of a TV show or movie, when 4K Ultra HD is available.

HD programming can be watched on most supported devices with the latest Hulu app. 4K Ultra HD programming is currently available on:

Hulu with HDR
Users can currently stream select Hulu originals in high-dynamic range (HDR), HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision on select devices — HDR content delivers a higher contrast range for much finer picture details. An HDR badge will appear on the details page of content available to stream in HDR.

Available HDR content can be watched on the following supported devices with the latest Hulu app:
  • Roku (HDR compatible models)
  • Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Cube devices (HDR compatible models with Fire OS 7 or later)
  • Apple TV 4K (Gen 5 or later)
  • Vizio (HDR compatible models)
  • Chromecast Ultra (HDR-compatible models)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
So wait they have 4K HDR on Chromecast Ultra but not the latest Chromecast with Google TV?

WTF?

Which FX shows are in 4K? Would be great if they have it for What we do in the shadows.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
So wait they have 4K HDR on Chromecast Ultra but not the latest Chromecast with Google TV?

WTF?

Which FX shows are in 4K? Would be great if they have it for What we do in the shadows.
WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS is available in 4K.

I would guess that this is the initially supported hardware platforms with more to come.

Welcome to the WTF support club!! I have a number of FTV4K Stick devices that are more than capable of HDR support. But, Amazon does not upgrade major OS versions after release. They are all on Fire OS version 6 and will likely never see Fire OS version 7. HULU is not supporting HDR on Fire OS version 6. WTF........... :mad: :eek: (n)

FX on HULU 4K Content:
AKA Jane Roe - American Horror Stories - Black Narcissus - Breeders - The Chloe Show - Dave - DEVS - Hip Hop Uncovered - Hysterical - Legion - Mayans - The Most Dangerous Animal of All - Mrs. America - The New York Times Presents - What We Do In The Shadows - A Wilderness of Error

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
They must have been listening!!
It appears that HDR support has been added to most, but not all of the HULU Original content that was previously 4K
wow!...finally!...it's a miracle!

they already have excellent 1080p and 4K SDR content so I'm hoping HDR10/Dolby Vision will be even better!...I was planning on subscribing for a month to watch their upcoming Y: The Last Man original series but this news just makes it even better (y)

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
wow!...finally!...it's a miracle!

they already have excellent 1080p and 4K SDR content so I'm hoping HDR10/Dolby Vision will be even better!...I was planning on subscribing for a month to watch their upcoming Y: The Last Man original series but this news just makes it even better (y)
Hold your enthusiasm on Y: THE LAST MAN. That is a FX on HULU Original. None of the current 4K content that I browsed through in the FX on HULU hub has HDR badges on it just yet. HDR treatment seems to be on HULU Original content only at this point in time.

Bright side. I knew if I held out long enough I might be able to view Abigail Spencer in REPRISAL (HULU Original) in 4K and HDR eventually!! :D :love:

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Hold your enthusiasm on Y: THE LAST MAN. That is a FX on HULU Original. None of the current 4K content that I browsed through in the FX on HULU hub has HDR badges on it just yet. HDR treatment seems to be on HULU Original content only at this point in time.
I would hope/guess that Y: The Last Man would be the first FX on Hulu series to have HDR support...seems like a flagship series for Hulu...Devs would also look great in Dolby Vision

181 - 200 of 386 Posts