AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

Quick question, I have a hum when I plug my pc into my distributed audio receiver and I am thinking it is a ground loop because the receiver is old and does not have a ground on the plug while the pc of course is grounded? Another reason I believe it has something to do with a ground loop is because I tested it with a portable mp3 player and when I plugged that into the stereo there was no hum. So of course there is no electric used when using the portable player just battery.....which leads me to believe it has something to do with ground loop?

If that's the case, since I have a spare electric plug for the pc, can I just nip off the ground part and use that whenever I decide that I am going to use the computer for music distribution since I have most of my music stored there? I'm thinking if I match electric connections between the pc and the stereo receiver it may take away the ground loop?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It would probably work - BUT I wouldn't recommend it (although I have done it myself in "emergency" situations
) Those plugs have grounds for a reason.

I assume you're connecting via simple analog audio cables, and if so, buy a proper ground loop isolator (Radio Shack even sells them for 15 or 16 bucks). Or try and plug the two components on two different circuits.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans /forum/post/19591140

It would probably work - BUT I wouldn't recommend it (although I have done it myself in "emergency" situations
) Those plugs have grounds for a reason.

I assume you're connecting via simple analog audio cables, and if so, buy a proper ground loop isolator (Radio Shack even sells them for 15 or 16 bucks). Or try and plug the two components on two different circuits.

First, thanks for the assistance BMaugans-

To answer your first question, yes simple coax cable converted with rca plug adapter. Going from both line out in the back of the pc and headset out make the same humming noise so I am pretty confident it is something to do with ground loop.

And in reference to your second question about plugging into different circuits, they already are....the pc is upstairs in my office and the receiver is downstairs in my basement...two totally different circuits. That is why the ground loop as the culprit is standing out at me because of the reasoning I explain in my original post....basically the pc has a ground plug and the receiver does not (due to it being 10-15 yrs old at least).

I will look into a ground loop isolator if they are cheap enough....if not then I will probably go ahead and "snip" the ground off of the pc cord and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.