AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this problem falls specifically into this forum subject, but it definitely involves my receiver, so I hope I can get some help here.

I wanted to check with our community on a humming issue that just sprung up on my system.

The setup:

Receiver: Denon 3805

TV: Samsung HDTV 1080p DLP

Blu Ray DVD: Sony BDP-S550 (HDMI to TV/analog out to 3805)

Satellite: DirectTV HD DVR Receiver (HDMI to TV/optical out)

Speakers: B&W 600s (602 s2 fronts, 601 s2 rear, CC6 S2 center, no sub)

Everything is plugged into the same surge protector.

Running fronts, surrounds and center from DVD player's multi channel outputs via RCA cables to allow S550 to handle audio decoding since the 3805 can't do it.

Except for the S550 (thank you Santa), everything in this system has been playing together nicely for the past 3-4 years. However, when I added the S550 to the mix, the speakers began to hum. I disconnected the RCA cables running from the S550 to the 3805 and *poof* no hum.

I used some basic RCA cables (read: free cables that we all get in every A/V component that we have ever bought and end up storing in a shoebox) I had laying around as a stop-gap until my cables from Monoprice come in this week. Are these the weak link or do I have a grounding problem? Is there such a thing as a grounding problem with a DVD player? Forgive my ignorance, I've never encountered this issue before.

I am hoping that replacing the flimsy cables I had laying around with some quality cables might solve the problem. However, I wanted to run it by some other HTers and get your opinions. If it is a grounding issue, I want to make sure I handle it correctly.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

EGM

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Chances are your Direct TV is grounded on a different ground than the rest of your house. Wrap a piece of speaker wire around the Direct TV receiver's cable input on the back of the receiver. Then run the other end to the center grounding screw on the outlet the surge protector is plugged into. The center grounding screw is the screw that holds the outlet plate on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts