AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get some advice and direction about what is the main problem long tewrm where I live.

Its close to the ocean (as in I can see the water from the house) and the prevailing winds come off the water. Its aalso humid, with much of the year above 75% and hitting 95-100% at times. With summer temperatures going well above 40C, keeping the place locked up is not an option.

In fact yopu can leave your windows open open more or less 24 hours a day all year round.

But a lot of damp and saalt gets into the house.

The fly screens actually help with salt as it seems to attach to them on the way past.

But its certainly not good for all the electricals....

I don't really see how a closed cabinet would help as stuff would heat at an alarming rate.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Is there maybe a cloth of some sort that I could literally drape over the equipment.....

I have NO idea how to deal with this.

I'm hoping a better brain than mine can come up with a plan....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry, I feel your pain. I grew up in a house right on the Puget Sound, and I know exactly what you're talking about! I did lose a couple of transistor radios and most of a truck due to salt air exposure. We never had any problems with the electronics in the house though. Our windows would always be open in the spring/summer months also. We had the same TV for 10+ years, stereo, appliances, etc. The only time there was a problem was with things left outside for too long (the truck, the radios.)

My advice would be to contact an electronics repair shop in the area and ask what kind of damage they see, and what options they can think of. A reliable electronics retailer should be able to help there too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Keeping your equipment powered on 24/7 should help a bit. This will keep the electronics warmer, thereby helping to keep them drier.

-Tweak

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree with both the above posts. Short of climate control (air conditioning), there's not much else you can do.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree with both the above posts. Short of climate control (air conditioning), there's not much else you can do.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I already do leave everything on 24 hours a day... I have a smaller system in the bedroom and once I turned it off for an afternoon, left it for 48 hours and nothing would work until I used a hairdrier on it for 10 minutes!!!!!

The air con (which I have) would have to run all the time and produce its own performance problems.

Maybe I just need to CLEAN everything from time to time....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.