AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Lumagen Vision HDP starts humming through my subwoofers when I turn the box on. if I switch the box off the noise goes away or if I pull the HDMI out it almost goes away but not as loud

I can watch TV through Onkyo Processor with no hum at all the moment I turn my projector on and lumagen the noise comes back

I went through all the power cords first unpluging them one by one, nothing seem to Eliminate the Hum from the Lumagen box

I don't understand as there is nothing connecting to EP4000 other then HDMI to DVI in from Onkyo and DVI to HDMI out to Projector

Any help to get ride of this noise would be really appreciated as I can't watch any films on Projector..

James

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
do you have a sat box or cable box connected?

Athanasios

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Yes, Sky HD but there is no problem when i watch tv with everything on only when I try to watch something on Projector with Lumagen on to get ride of black bars the noise come back.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhd /forum/post/19605108

my Lumagen Vision HDP starts humming through my subwoofers when I turn the box on. if I switch the box off the noise goes away or if I pull the HDMI out it almost goes away but not as loud

I can watch TV through Onkyo Processor with no hum at all the moment I turn my projector on and lumagen the noise comes back

I went through all the power cords first unpluging them one by one, nothing seem to Eliminate the Hum from the Lumagen box

I don't understand as there is nothing connecting to EP4000 other then HDMI to DVI in from Onkyo and DVI to HDMI out to Projector

Any help to get ride of this noise would be really appreciated as I can't watch any films on Projector..

James

Sounds like a ground issue..try lifting the ground on the sub..or if it's not grounded ..do so

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Ok, where the sat box comes in to your house it must be grounded close to your electric service. If your entire A/V system is grounded to the same circuit( and not your dish ground which is not the Sky reciever, just the dish) you might have to run a ground wire from the sat box splitter or connecting block which is grounds your dish to your service box and run it to some ground point the rest of your A/V system is connected to. I had the same exact issue, i removed the ground to my panel box and ran it to my systems ground and the hum was gone. One way to test is while you have the hum remove the cable from your satelite to your Sky box. i bet the hum goes away.If there is an antenna also in the mix connected toy our sky box you may have to remove that as well for testing.

Athanasios

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/19608873

Ok, where the sat box comes in to your house it must be grounded close to your electric service. If your entire A/V system is grounded to the same circuit( and not your dish ground which is not the Sky reciever, just the dish) you might have to run a ground wire from the sat box splitter or connecting block which is grounds your dish to your service box and run it to some ground point the rest of your A/V system is connected to. I had the same exact issue, i removed the ground to my panel box and ran it to my systems ground and the hum was gone. One way to test is while you have the hum remove the cable from your satelite to your Sky box. i bet the hum goes away.If there is an antenna also in the mix connected toy our sky box you may have to remove that as well for testing.

Athanasios

Thanks Mate

Just tried removing Sky cable, Hdmi cable from sky, and the Power it down, Still the hum is there.

After I posted similar Question on Lumagen Forum

I got this back form Jim

You have a ground loop. Okay, if you know what this is that is obvious.

The ground prongs on the power cords are the most common carrier for the ground current that causes ground loops. I cannot recommend it due to electrical code issues, but some have temporary tested if the ground prong is the cause by using a "cheater plug" on the Lumagen, and other equipment that has a ground prong, to (temporarily) eliminate the ground prongs.

We also now have a 2-prong power supply available for the Vision series (and RadianceXS) which can help you eliminate the ground loop if the cheater plug test proves helpful.

email us at [email protected] if you have questions.

Jim Peterson

Lumagen

so I have got in touch with Gordon in UK to see if he had spare power supplies..

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
you can get one of those Outlet testers. It will let you know if the powers has the correct polarity as well as a ground issue. One thing is to make sure all your equipment is connected to the same circuit(on the same Ground path).

But give this a try as well, connect wire from the chassis of the lumagen to the chassis of your amp, it might make it go away as well.

Athanasios

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

you can get one of those Outlet testers. It will let you know if the powers has the correct polarity as well as a ground issue. One thing is to make sure all your equipment is connected to the same circuit(on the same Ground path).

But give this a try as well, connect wire from the chassis of the lumagen to the chassis of your amp, it might make it go away as well.

Thanks Athanasios i tried connecting wire to both unit, didn't work so my only other option looking like is to buy 2-Prong power supply. really hope this will solve the problem as they are costing me £45

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.