AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Image DVD of Lon Chaney's THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME has a running time of 97 or 99 minutes.

The Alpha Video version has a claimed running time of 110 minutes.

The Silent Era Web site

http://www.silentera.com/DVD/hunchba...reDameDVD.html

states that they're likely from the same Blackhawk 16mm reduction print. However, the Alpha Video version is supposedly more than 10 minutes longer.

Since the Image version is shown at the correct 18fps rate or so, that means that if the info on the Alpha edition is correct, it's:

1. being displayed at only 90% the speed of the Image version, i.e., 14-15fps

2. it has at least 10 more minutes of film than the Image version - or, if it's a 24fps version, it has SIGNIFICANTLY MORE film than the Image version.

Any knowledge about this?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
It may be worth the $6 "Alpha" purchase to find out since you already have the Image version. I don't have either of these yet but had planned on getting the Image version.

A few words of caution on the Alpha video releases. They ALL look like crap! Poor framing (image cropped and not always straight), no restoration (just as foul an image as you can imagine but usually better than Goodtimes), no frills whatsoever, and the case is usually wrong on some information given about the film; ie. running times.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i have the Alpha version of Orphans Of The Storm, which i have heard is probably from the same print that Image used as well.

its actually quite watchable and better looking than a couple silents i have that were put out by Kino.

the big problem with the Alpha disc is that they just drop random selections of classical music on the soundtrack that go against the grain of the action on the screen.

when i watch the disc, i have to watch it with the sound off.

i doubt the Alpha disc of Humchback is a 'restored' or more complete version than the image one.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan 41
It may be worth the $6 "Alpha" purchase to find out since you already have the Image version. I don't have either of these yet but had planned on getting the Image version.

A few words of caution on the Alpha video releases. They ALL look like crap! Poor framing (image cropped and not always straight), no restoration (just as foul an image as you can imagine but usually better than Goodtimes), no frills whatsoever, and the case is usually wrong on some information given about the film; ie. running times.
The Image Entertainment edition is out of print, so you'll have to be satisfied with the Alpha Video version.

That said, the Image DVD is easily the WORST PQ of any movie I have. That's probably due to the source material, but it's in terrible shape. The scenes from this movie that were shown in that Turner Classic Movies special on Lon Chaney this last weekend were better looking though -- I wonder what their source was? Or at least they were darker. So many scenes in the Image DVD look bleached out.

The Alpha Video version of THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (Leslie Banks, Fay Wray) is said to be equal in PQ to the Criterion edition. I bought a used copy (but it was defective and I returned it), and what I watched -- which was most of it, before the defect caused it to stop playing -- looked great. Some have said that they suspect Alpha ripped the Criterion DVD to create their own. If I see it again at Half-Price books I will likely buy it.

So, buying Alpha Video is apparently a risk that sometimes pays off handsomely.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i've read that the Alpha disc of the film noir Impact is supposed to be good too.

i have it coming in from DDD so i'm anxious to see.

its a shame you really cant trust them they way you would some other brands, as they have a lot of interesting early B movies i would love to see in decent presentations.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
The Image Entertainment edition is out of print, so you'll have to be satisfied with the Alpha Video version.

That said, the Image DVD is easily the WORST PQ of any movie I have. That's probably due to the source material, but it's in terrible shape. The scenes from this movie that were shown in that Turner Classic Movies special on Lon Chaney this last weekend were better looking though -- I wonder what their source was? Or at least they were darker. So many scenes in the Image DVD look bleached out.

The Alpha Video version of THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (Leslie Banks, Fay Wray) is said to be equal in PQ to the Criterion edition. I bought a used copy (but it was defective and I returned it), and what I watched -- which was most of it, before the defect caused it to stop playing -- looked great. Some have said that they suspect Alpha ripped the Criterion DVD to create their own. If I see it again at Half-Price books I will likely buy it.

So, buying Alpha Video is apparently a risk that sometimes pays off handsomely.
If you pick up the Alpha version soon let me know what you think of it, please. I forgot about the Image version being out of print so, it looks like I'll be making a trip to the local Barnes & Noble to see if it's still there, it was last week. :rolleyes:

I have a few of the Alpha releases and all of mine look pretty bad. It's good to know that at least a few of their DVDs look decent.

Heads up to anyone that is thinking about picking this up; the Alpha release of "The Thief of Bagdad (1924)" isn't worth the effort. The Image release is still available under $25 and looks a GREAT DEAL better than its $6 Alpha counterpart. I had to stop the Alpha version about 5 minutes in and couldn't watch it. Has anyone seen the 1927 version available anywhere (VHS) or know if it's being worked on for DVD?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (silent) is coming out in a new edition soon, as I understand, so get the NEW one, not the old Image edition. Check this out first, though.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Do you have a link to that information eweiss? I wasn't aware of a new release in the works.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I found it! It's a KINO release. with a host of extras.

The Thief of Bagdad (1924)

Director: Raoul Walsh

Starring: Douglas Fairbanks

Genres: Action-Adventure, Silent

Type: Tinted B&W

Year: 1924

Language: English Intertitles

Length: 154 mins.

# 19 minutes of Rare Outtakes

# Special Effects Outtakes

# Filmed Introduction by Orson Welles

# Excerpt of Georges Melies's ARABIAN NIGHTS

# Excerpts of Paul Leni's Waxworks (1924)

# Excerpts of the Souvenir Program Book

# Orchestral Score Recorded in Digital Stereo. Adapted from the 1924 Cue Sheet, Performed by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.

I think I'll be ordering the set in a few minutes though! :D

Thanks for the tip eweiss!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Warner Bros. version of Hunchback . Running time is 117 minutes . I thought the picture quality was great considering the the age of the film . Good extras as well .

My bad, just noticed you were referring to the silent edition which I don't have .

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (silent) is coming out in a new edition soon, as I understand, so get the NEW one, not the old Image edition. Check this out first, though.
DUDE!! SWEET!! :D

Seriously, this is good news, I've been dying for a good version of TOB. Kino is the Criterion of the silent era!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.