AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this is coming on next month!! Very cool as the dvd is pretty poor quality.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HBO

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Edit, it looks like it airs on 5/1 at 6:30.

Still doesnt have the HDTV logo beside it and this a pretty old movie so it might not be in HD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Titantv list it as HD and the HDHBO schedule has the trueHDTV icon next to it. This is one of my favorite movies so Im hoping it is.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Sorry to burst people's bubbles, but this is a panavision movie.

Too bad. I will think long and hard and wait for damage reports before deciding to watch a favorite movie butchered.

Darius

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The good news is that Paramount is releasing new anamorphic DVDs of this movie and the two other older non anamorphic Ryan DVDs in May. I'd rather watch the new DVD in OAR than HBO's butchered version.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
This film made constant and full use of the entire 2.35:1 frame. Any cropping will be a disaster and if it is a new HBO transfer, it will be cropped.

I'll just buy the DVD and recommend you do the same and tell HBO about it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Like I said, think Loooooong and Haaaaard before watching this one. I remember watching it 4:3 back when I didn't care about video quality, and even *I* got annoyed by the constant panning that went on in the movie.

Darius

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you already subscribe to HBO anyway, why *not* watch it? Considering the inferior DVD that exists now, I can't see why it's such a waste of a fan of the movie's time to watch it even if it is cropped. They're spending $12/month for the channel anyway. I'd watch it in a heartbeat if I still subscribed, even though I'd prefer OAR.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
If you already subscribe to HBO anyway, why *not* watch it? Considering the inferior DVD that exists now, I can't see why it's such a waste of a fan of the movie's time to watch it even if it is cropped. They're spending $12/month for the channel anyway. I'd watch it in a heartbeat if I still subscribed, even though I'd prefer OAR.
I agree, people take OAR overboard sometimes. Yes its nice but Id rather have more HD that was edited than nothing OAR.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
I agree, people take OAR overboard sometimes. Yes its nice but Id rather have more HD that was edited than nothing OAR.
Overboard? I don't think not wanting to watch a movie that's missing 25% of the picture would be considered "overboard". I'd rather see the entire picture, and I will in a few weeks when the new DVD comes out.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
DVD sucks left testicle compared to HDTV.... I dont care if its cropped or not it will look much much sharper and clearer than almost any DVD. Hell Mid grade HDTV looks better than the best DVD.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
DVD sucks left testicle compared to HDTV.... I dont care if its cropped or not it will look much much sharper and clearer than almost any DVD. Hell Mid grade HDTV looks better than the best DVD.
Which display are you using?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
this isn't a display issue. Red October is probably going to be sharp in most places. I just find the sudden blurries, wierd pannings very distracting for watching. If they just chop-chop and zoom zoom and kept it there at a certain focus, I would be alright...

Darius

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is it an abosolute certainty that Red October will NOT be OAR?

I'm finally a member of the HDTV family, and I just watched my first HBO HD movie last night. It was Judge Dredd (unfortunately) and it appeared to be in OAR.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
According to the new Direct Satellite Guide, Hunt for Red Octobr is not being shown for the first time in HD. It is not hi-lited in dark blue as is every other movie shown for the first time in HD on their schedule. If this one was aired long ago in HD, chances are that it was aired with OAR intact since those first few films were indeed shown that way.

·
Registered
18,928 Posts
Sigh, this is starting to become old-hat with HBO. Two in a row- Roxanne, and now Red October.

They can't claim the tape was damaged "in the mail" like they did with 5th Element...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.