AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
After reading this thread I am very happy to have gone with Somfy brand motors. That and the fact the HD quote was $5K more than what we went with, also, Somfy working well with home automation systems. Good luck!
How has Somfy's Mylink app been working for you? I'm just curious to hear your personal experience so far.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
It might be useful to know that the RF output of all of the PowerView remote devices is the same strength, which is at FCC maximum level. In other words, the RF output of the Hub, the Pebble Remote, the Repeaters are all the same strength.

I would not expect the Hub (or any other of the other devices) to work in one hop for any great distance, such as 25 to 30 feet through walls.

Also to keep in mind, too many repeaters in one area can create issues. The preferred number is one per room.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It might be useful to know that the RF output of all of the PowerView remote devices is the same strength, which is at FCC maximum level. In other words, the RF output of the Hub, the Pebble Remote, the Repeaters are all the same strength.
We do not know whether the HD RF gadgets use maximum allowable power level, much less if they use the same level without measuring those levels.

From their FCC filing, it appears that they do just the opposite for whatever misguided reason(e.g. conserving batteries at the expense of communication reliability) : https://fccid.io/UXUSC4U1

I agree wrt too many repeaters. They may, in fact, make the situation worse by cluttering the already cluttered 2.4GHz band even more.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We do not know whether the HD RF gadgets use maximum allowable power level, much less if they use the same level without measuring those levels.

From their FCC filing, it appears that they do just the opposite for whatever misguided reason(e.g. conserving batteries at the expense of communication reliability) : https://fccid.io/UXUSC4U1

I agree wrt too many repeaters. They may, in fact, make the situation worse by cluttering the already cluttered 2.4GHz band even more.

I'm only passing along what Hunter has told me regarding power output of the remote devices.

I do know that they do everything possible to conserve battery usage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a follow up from my earlier posts. The shades seem to be automating well now and following the schedule I have created. That being said, we had to purchase a bunch of repeaters. Almost every room in my house has one of those little repeaters plugged into an outlet. It's kind of ridiculous. The repeaters cost me $75 each. It also doesn't make a ton of sense that the reach of the hub is so short. I think HD went cheap on the hub.

It is nice to have the blinds on a schedule though. That being said, I cannot get my blinds to run off of the IFTTT.com app website. My log for IFTTT says it has run 17 times but I have never seen the shades respond accordingly. I cannot get the shades to run when I login remotely (when I am not in range of the hub, ex. I am at work). I have tried repeatedly (no pun intended on a mostly "repeater" post).

On the upside, it is cool to be standing outside your house, click a button on your phone and watch everything open or close.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Schedules are great. I have four main sets I use. Night, Daytime, Privacy and Open. I'm adding a weekday schedule for Privacy as I'd prefer some side windows were a little more closed while I'm working in the home office.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with some "light harvesting" options in the future. I've got some office and breakfast table windows that would benefit from being adjusted based on their south-facing exposure and amount of daylight and outside temperature conditions. I can't do that with anything in the Hunter Douglas gear, of course, but other automation systems might offer some ways to pull it all together. The trick is getting PowerView shade integration into them. Which shouldn't be hard, except for Hunter Douglas having no decent developer documentation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kind of hijacking the thread, but curious about how people are doing scheduling / integration with keypads. This isn't HD specific - but thought I'd ask it here as a continuation of the thread.

Specifically, I have keypads in the kids's rooms with 4 buttons, and I'm hoping to provide integration between the lighting and shades; I can also control the lighting/shades via scheduling, to some degree.

My thought was to do the following:
  • Keypad
    1. On - Lights On and Shades down
    2. Night time - Lights lower and Shades down
    3. Nite Lite - Lights low and Shades down
    4. Off - Lights Off and Shades down
  • Scheduling
    1. 9am - open shades
What I'm struggling with is that the kids are still napping, so even in the middle of the day, the shades have to go down. But, what do we do after the kid wakes up from their afternoon nap, which could be 1 or 5pm, to open the shades again from the keypad? How do people normally do this - what scenes do you label/program into the keypads and how do you link that to the shades?

I think I might be able to do this with the limited control I have on time of day scenes, where we open the shades when the lights go on - I just don't want that to always happen, like when we're putting the kids to sleep.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
It's probably worth it's own thread.

What you'd use would depend on what you have. You'd need an automation tool of some sort that spoke to both your lighting and your shade systems. Which do what is definitely beyond the scope of this particular thread.

For a situation like kids napping and their wakeup time I'm not sure I'd use schedules. Any time they're asleep is precious (to the parents). You don't want gizmos screwing that up. So I'd lean more toward schedules for known evening sleep time. I say schedules because with the range of winter/summer daylight hours it might be best to set two. One for X minutes before/after sunset and then another for a fixed 'bedtime'. This way you're covered for a 4:30pm sunset in Winter, but always for the 8:00pm bedtime in the Summer. Wake time isn't as easy, you'd like just want to use a fixed time.

One point of concern, kids and automated shades don't always mix well. Little ones fiddling with the hardware can lead to problems. I deliberately went with non-automated shades for our child's room for this reason. Better to avoid a $200 add-on to a shade being something that gets broken...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Out of curiosity, what problems have you seen with kids and automated shades? I was making an assumption that since we've been okay with the kids and non-automated shades so far, there wouldn't be a problem. Since all of the hardware is up above the window, what damage can they do?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Out of curiosity, what problems have you seen with kids and automated shades? I was making an assumption that since we've been okay with the kids and non-automated shades so far, there wouldn't be a problem. Since all of the hardware is up above the window, what damage can they do?
Anytime you have buttons that can be pressed and motors that will move, you really want to think about what an attractive nuisance that can be with kids. If not just your kids, friends and guests. While the automation hardware may be up above, they're typically repaired as a whole unit. So fabric rips can turn into something expensive.

Me, I try to err on the side of caution and not put things in front of little kids that are going to invite more expense and work for me. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put down a deposit (50%) with a local HD retailer last Friday for 5 HD PowerView Roller Shades for my master bedroom (doing a combination of shutters and blinds elsewhere). This weekend I came across this post and I'm now a bit concerned with my decision. Should I look into another option due to the issues that have been brought of on this post related to reliability issues? Or have the issues been addressed?

In addition, I already have z-wave lights, fan controls, thermostats etc that are controlled with a 2gig system. Can the HD PowerView products be controlled via a Z-wave controller?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
In addition, I already have z-wave lights, fan controls, thermostats etc that are controlled with a 2gig system. Can the HD PowerView products be controlled via a Z-wave controller?
I don't think so on the Z-Wave, unless someone on here has come up with a way.

The HD Hub allows for control of scenes with serial commands, and of course extensive shade control with the regular HD free app using your phone or tablet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello people,

I have a question about the iOS app and hub. I got my iPhone, my iPad and my partner iPad connected to the hub, and everything works as it should.
But ... if I want to link the iPhone from my partner to the hub, I get the message "Hub not found". I really tried everything to restore the iPhone. Information about the iPhone:

- IPhone 6
- Firmware 9.3.2
- PowerView 1.4 app
- Same wifi router

Who knows this problem and who has a solution.

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello people,

I have a question about the iOS app and hub. I got my iPhone, my iPad and my partner iPad connected to the hub, and everything works as it should.
But ... if I want to link the iPhone from my partner to the hub, I get the message "Hub not found". I really tried everything (to restore the iPhone) also a recovery of the iPhone does not help. Information about the iPhone:

- IPhone 6
- Firmware 9.3.2
- PowerView 1.4 app
- Same wifi router

Who knows this problem and who has a solution.

Roger
text modified

·
Registered
299 Posts
Update: I have verified with HD, they do not use a reliable protocol between the shade and the Remote. The shade is programmed to respond to a Remote ID & Group ID, the remote broadcasts the command, the shade(s) receives it and executes the command. There is no acknowledgement. So the only way to make this reliable, is to have the shade reliably receive the command the first time every time
I came here looking for some info before ordering HD and I'm glad I did. For the price they charge, it is unbelievable HD went with a fire and forget protocol over an unreliable transport. There is no way I will buy HD PowerView with an implementation like this. I can see why they did this; its much easier/cheaper for the shades to be receive only but look what that choice got them with how the end product works.

yikes!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I came here looking for some info before ordering HD and I'm glad I did. For the price they charge, it is unbelievable HD went with a fire and forget protocol over an unreliable transport. There is no way I will buy HD PowerView with an implementation like this. I can see why they did this; its much easier/cheaper for the shades to be receive only but look what that choice got them with how the end product works.

yikes!
Funny thing is, I believe they do have commands with responses back to the hub. But, they don't have a reliable protocol between the shade and the remote or hub. There are many enhancements that this system would benefit from. For one, there is no way to remotely re-flash the shades, not to mention a reliable communication. To be honest, the missing RF signal issue, I believe is due to the shade sleeping to save power. If your signal comes during a non listening period, it misses. I believe they are balancing cost and power consumption for battery life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New firmware REV H

Just FYI, there is a new firmware release for the roller shades and other models, REV H. Hunter Douglas was at my house today re-flashing 16 shades. The technician claimed the new revision fixes the "shade lockup problem", something I have seen occasionally. Identifying this problem is relatively easy. First the shade goes completely unresponsive from the pebble remote (most likely unresponsive from the hub as well, but I don't have one to verify) Next, attempt to manually lower the shade with the button on the motor, the shade will be unresponsive to this as well. Now, pull the DC power, insert the power, shade is back in working order. It will take some time to verify this is fixed, as it doesn't occur very frequently in my house, once a month. Reading through the posts again, I believe many of you may be seeing this problem. This release doesn't appear to address the "RF signal misses" or remotely re-flashing. The technician didn't know if it fixes the lower limit going out of adjustment. I have requested release notes on REV H from Hunter Douglas, but haven't received a response yet.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

yikes!
I've been cotrolling my battery powered hunter shades for years now with X10 and a simple app, way before hunter even offered it. It's simple, costs barely anything and WORKS!

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I setup the Lutron app for my radio ra2 gear it does require setting up username and password on the main repeater. So while it is using the telnet protocol, in the clear over the wire, it does at least control access. That and the app does block homeowner edits if you choose that setting.

I don't have any shades associated with it but it would seem reasonable to assume that since they are joined to the same repeater and controlled by the same app there be the same username and password security associated with it.

As for Hunter Douglas repeaters, I'd suggest you clear it ahead of time with your installer or reseller that you may need to return some of the repeaters. That's how my installer handled it. They brought along about a half dozen and I think I'm only using four.
Are u able to control your HD with Lutron app? and how?

81 - 100 of 199 Posts