AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mmmm. Pretty. They only list one US reseller, and they only list the mini-itx form factor, though... I'd be interested in the atx model :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wow, it's a great looking/functional case ( I like the one w/o all the front inputs, it looks cleaner to me). High performing computing w/o a fan is quite an engineering accomplishment. If the price/performance ratio is effective then it may be an ultimate htpc case.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looks like it's 1 AGP or 2 PCI slots. I need at a minimum 1 AGP and 1 PCI (capture board) and it would be nice to have the option of adding a soundcard.

I've wondered myself why no one had made a case that used the side pannels as large heatsinks--looks like someone finally has. I wish this company would offer 3U cases (just cases).

·
Registered
174 Posts
No. Actually it is 1AGP + 1PCI or 2PCI slots.

Gerry

·
Registered
495 Posts
Woops, I misread. Still, one PCI and one AGP isn't enough for me. I really want the ability to add a soundcard (in addition to video and capture).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They only announced this case yesterday or today, I think. I'm sure when it goes into production in the next few weeks then more US distributors will have it. I would expect that this will receive killer reviews, as it seems to have every desirable feature of an upmarket HTPC case (OK, no 800MHz FSB yet, I'm not sure whether that's for heat reasons or because there isn't an 800 MHz mobo that fits well into the case; and no gas fluorescent display).

It is, as far as I am aware, the only fanless Pentium IV PC in commercial production. All the other fanless models are mini-ITX or whatever.

It also seems from the pictures that it would not be big enough to take full-height graphics cards, so I wonder whether they have found a half-height Radeon 9600 and Radeon 9800 solution? I'm not sure how they are managing to cool the graphics card either, as only the Radeon 9200 is fanless AFAIK.

·
Registered
495 Posts
inti

I think it uses full height AGP cards via a riser card.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is certainly a beautiful case. I have been watching their Mini-ITX computers for sometime but they just were not powerful enough for the money.

One issue with wide-spread acceptance of these PCs will be the price. With a base price of about $1500 (US) they are way too high. You will also probably have to wait until 1Q2004 to get one in the US.

Larry

·
Registered
396 Posts
I should clarify that the $1500 would probably be for a full PC - case, motherboard, P4 processor, slim DVD drive, etc. They don't let you buy just the case - they want you to configure it on their site and get the whole salami.

Larry

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the clarification, rtype.

I believe the reason why they only sell whole PCs is that the chips (processor, northbridge and GPU) are directly thermally connected to the case via heatpipes, which must require very good precision engineering. I would not fancy trying to do that myself in my workshop!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The 9600 non pro is also fanless. I have one.

Quote:
Originally posted by inti
They only announced this case yesterday or today, I think. I'm sure when it goes into production in the next few weeks then more US distributors will have it. I would expect that this will receive killer reviews, as it seems to have every desirable feature of an upmarket HTPC case (OK, no 800MHz FSB yet, I'm not sure whether that's for heat reasons or because there isn't an 800 MHz mobo that fits well into the case; and no gas fluorescent display).

It is, as far as I am aware, the only fanless Pentium IV PC in commercial production. All the other fanless models are mini-ITX or whatever.

It also seems from the pictures that it would not be big enough to take full-height graphics cards, so I wonder whether they have found a half-height Radeon 9600 and Radeon 9800 solution? I'm not sure how they are managing to cool the graphics card either, as only the Radeon 9200 is fanless AFAIK.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wow. Very intersting. Finally, they made a new hush for more than 1 PCI slot and ATX.

Just a thought. I would like to have a RADEON, firewire, Xcard, and PDI deluxe in this. The perfect combination will be ASUS P4R-800V, Xcard, and PDI deluxe for now. :) P4R-800V is new coming ATi RADEON 9100 IGP/IXP150 chipset motherboard with RADEON 9200 and VIA 1394 onboard. How do others think if you will make a HTPC with this hush?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...901165305.html

·
Registered
350 Posts
So the Hush-ATX has a heat pipe to cool the CPU's that they put in it? I couldn't find anything that said the CPU cooling was fanless.

kiwi

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
What about the SID FutureClient?

http://www.signumdata.de/english/futureclient.htm

Fanless.... P4

edit: it looks like many of their links aren't working any more.

here's the link to their main site:
http://www.signumdata.de/

Don't know whether they have any english pages any more.

I read an interesting write-up about SFF pc's and it mentioned that the Hush derived from the signumdata futureclient. Don't know how accurate that is... the two companies may have nothing to do with each other.

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=453

and the page that talks about the hush device:

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=453&pid=1653

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I couldn't get that link to work, greenkiwi

The Hush ATX is fanless as far as I know - the heatpipe connects the CPU to fins on the outside of the case.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rtype
Woops, I misread. Still, one PCI and one AGP isn't enough for me. I really want the ability to add a soundcard (in addition to video and capture).
You could always use the M-Audio Firewire 410. It wouldn't need a PCI slot that way.

kiwi

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very nice looking. I saw this a couple of days ago on another site but I also need a good PCI slot (for a total of 2 ) plus the AGP.

·
Registered
350 Posts
need a "good" pci slot? instead of a bad one? Yeah, I don't like my PCI slots frying cards and talking back to me. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.