AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the forum members has asked me how I built my hush box.

So I decided to post my ideas here as others may be interested.

I do not have a hush box as such. It is more of a lowered ceiling with a bulge for the projector. I had looked at various hush box designs but did not like the aesthetics of them. I have a very tight installation in a small area which was the dining room at the back of my lounge. My projector is mounted as far back in the room as is physically possible. The screen is mounted in front of a window at the other end of the room. The screen is a Dalite 1.3 gain electric and when it is up you would never suspect it was there. This results in a 7 feet wide image from my GE Imager 901 (nec 9pg). Almost all of the phosphor is used on the CRT's so the projector has to work quite hard. The room had to look as normal as possible during the day and become a cinema in the evening.

I started by mounting the projector. A new ceiling was then fitted around the projector which still has all its original casing in place. This dropped the ceiling by around 6 inches. This means that the top two fans in the projector have the entire ceiling void to blow hot air into. A framework was then built around the projector by cutting and bending standard ceiling channels. Tiles were then cut to suit and dropped into place. The ceiling went up in a day but it took about three days to cut and fit the tiles around the projector.

here are some pictures I have kept the small to give a quicker download :-

This one shows front of projector ....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Nice! Very sleek looking.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.