AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is definitely some hushbox knowledge out there but it is scattered around a bunch of different build threads so I thought I would create a thread for people to share their design and building ideas.

Some thoughts for sub topics:

Materials- what should we be building our hushboxes out of?

Design- I've seen everything from empty box to elaborate maze patterns for air flow.

Lining- What makes a good liner for the inside of your hushbox?

Glass- glass or no glass? Is Edmunds the only option? What shapes work best?

Cooling- Share your ideas on cooling your husbox.

Mounting- share your ideas on mounting- both the box and the PJ in the box.

Anything else you would like to discuss...

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
There is definitely some hushbox knowledge out there but it is scattered around a bunch of different build threads so I thought I would create a thread for people to share their design and building ideas.

Some thoughts for sub topics:

Materials- what should we be building our hushboxes out of?

Design- I've seen everything from empty box to elaborate maze patterns for air flow.

Lining- What makes a good liner for the inside of your hushbox?

Glass- glass or no glass? Is Edmunds the only option? What shapes work best?

Cooling- Share your ideas on cooling your husbox.

Mounting- share your ideas on mounting- both the box and the PJ in the box.

Anything else you would like to discuss...
Members that have created hush box build threads may not see your thread/request. May I suggest using the search engine and cut/pasting previous threads into your first post. Providing those links may help "flesh out" your thread to serve as a repository for the hush box project.

The best way to search is advance search, title search only and I would suggest "hush" as your search word. I would also google "hush box + avs forum" to capture site wide threads on the topic.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cooling, something from here: https://www.acinfinity.com/
specific product depends on hush box design, cooling needs and proximity to places to suck cooler air from and spit hot air out.
Confession here. I am in the process of building a hushbox for my new theater which is why I started this thread to pull stuff together from hither and yon.

I have already purchased an ACinfinity 4 inch inline fan which comes with a sensor that I can place in the box that turns the fan on and off when the box reaches certain temperatures. MY plan is to place it in my mechanical room (nearly adjacent) with ducting going through a soffit at the back into the husbox. Going to blow the air into the mechanical room. I might get the cool air from the hallway outside the theater which attaches to a large space. This keeps the whole ducting system noise outside the room unless the inlets make noise from airflow in the box that is audible (doubtful).

This fan I believe is rated for 220 CFM which is a lot more than typical computer fans although I believe it automatically adjusts the suction depending on the temperature or humidity read by the sensor. I believe this will allow me to avoid a second fan for intake and just suck the air from the negative pressure generated by the exhaust. I plan to place the sensor near the exhaust duct to read the hot air coming from the exhaust of the PJ. A dust filter over the intake should cut down the dust quite a bit.

I'm hoping these designs help alleviate some of the valid issues raised by Mike in a thread quoted above which is critical of using a hushbox at all. My sense is that I may have to replace my husbox if I get a new projector in the future. I am going to build it a bit larger than needed to give more flexibility in the future but at a minimum I'd likely need a new front to place the hole for the lens in the correct spot.

I am planning to put a circular hole (3") with a hole saw but not use glass. I'm hoping this doesn't mess up the airflow too much or create a dust problem

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wasn't planning on ventilating my hush box. I figured the front in/out airflow on my Epson 5040UB would be enough to keep it cool if there was no front on the hush box. Am I thinking wrong?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't planning on ventilating my hush box. I figured the front in/out airflow on my Epson 5040UB would be enough to keep it cool if there was no front on the hush box. Am I thinking wrong?
From what I've read so far you should strongly consider some sort of ventilation solution. Projectors are designed to hang in the air with a lot of free airflow around them. Obstructing that airflow can create a lot of heat that will slowly cook your projector reducing it's lifespan.

To be safe I would check with Epson. They should be able to help you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is a fun thread. I’ve been remodeling my own theater/game room for some time now and I have a hush box enclosure built into the top wall. It is an odd shaped enclosure because of how the roof slopes, but there is just enough room to squeeze a JVC RS4500 in there. The main purpose of the box was to hide the massive projector and get it as quiet as possible even on high laser. I have the enclosure vented with an AC infinity T6 in-line fan, which exhausts out the roof. I’ve been building this theater room for over a year now and don’t have all the calculations for ventilation memorized anymore. I do remember specifically comparing cfm specs of the T4, T6, and T8 and settled on the T6 because it had the lowest rpm for the flow required minus pressure losses from ducting, and intake configuration plus the merv (10?) intake filter.

I routed the a temperature probe into the box, but I have the fan set to activate via 12v trigger from the projector. The probe is there to sound an audible alarm from the fan control when exceeding a certain temperature. It’s the only way I know if something is wrong because the fan mounted in the attic is silent. I installed MLV across the entire ceiling, layered with 3/4” ply, and then rails for a wood plank acoustic ceiling.

I’m working on drywall currently and will post photos soon. The projector isn’t even mounted in the box yet.

I’m still going back and forth between using glass in front of the projector, or just air sealing the gap between the projector lens and wall.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some photos to supplement my post above. I may start a build thread here at some point, but between work and spending 30-40 hours per week on this project I have little extra time.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts