AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I can't imagine -any- hushbox would not need ventilation running whenever the projector is running (they put out a LOT of heat). Thus it makes more sense to turn the fan on whenever the projector is on, no?

Maybe you're trying to kick in some higher output backup fans if it gets too hot? In that case, I'm sure hooking a thermometer to a relay could be easily done, but I'm not into that sort of stuff so I couldn't give you any part numbers, sorry.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
This one works well in my hushbox http://www.smarthome.com/3018.html

Steve Smith turned me onto this one as it is also in his hushbox.

Mount it so the hot air from the projector is directed at the duct stat. Be sure to set the duct stat to "HEAT" mode since you want it to think it is sensing hot air in the HVAC system and needs to come on as the temp rises. I had a fellow recently get confused and put it in "Cool" mode. Since the duct stat never sensed any cold air coming from the projector, it obviously didn't work very well. Finally, adjust the temp control so it comes one as the projector warms up. Takes a little fiddling, but once set it works well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Having the fans turn on when the projector is powered, is a better solution than using temperature as a trigger. Speaking from the experience with a DILA, the projector needs free flow of air circulation. In a hushbox with no air flow, the temperature within the the projector will increase, but the outside temp may not increase as quickly. Temperature in the projector is more important than the hushbox itself.

Maybe another answer would be fans triggered by amperes. As my DILA keeps the fans on until it cools to safe temps, you could have your hushbox fans be on when it draws more current than an LED.

Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
I can't imagine -any- hushbox would not need ventilation running whenever the projector is running (they put out a LOT of heat). Thus it makes more sense to turn the fan on whenever the projector is on, no?

Maybe you're trying to kick in some higher output backup fans if it gets too hot? In that case, I'm sure hooking a thermometer to a relay could be easily done, but I'm not into that sort of stuff so I couldn't give you any part numbers, sorry.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just hooked up a standard thermostat inside the hushbox. It's hooked up to a separate relay (via the standard thermostat wire) which then switches power to a separate in-line duct fan.

It's pretty straight-forward (the electrician wired everything though ;>) and I can adjust what temperature that the in-line fan comes on.

I use the same thing for controlling when the electronic duct dampers in my columns open/close. I've got a separate thermostat in the room that I can set to keep the room from getting too cold (during the summer when the house is cooling everything - the basement/theater is already naturally cool), or too hot (in the winter, when the rest of the house is getting tons of heat and the WELL-INSULATED theater stays a fairly consistent temperature).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.