AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a hypothetical question that I have no intention of implementing!

I have no desire to potentially destroy my projector.

Would a higher voltage produce a sharper image? Even though the spot size is pretty good on my marquee already, when my hvps discharged, the focus snapped out, then gradually came back in until the hvps arced again(the resistor after the transformer fried a hole to the metal casing, where it could arc to) leading me to believe that overvolting would give a sharper focus. Would upping the voltage by using a different hv transformer allow you to get a sharper focus? In the quantum sence, the wave nature of the electron is smaller(even though spot size is not governed by this, the large momentum of the electron makes its wavelength miniscule). Magnetic fields also produce a stronger effect, so the em focus should be able to "lense" the electrons into a tighter spot.

Just the idea of overvolting tubes sounds like a stupid and destructive mod, but could you pull 1400p out of it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it is more to do with the focus system

I think if you changed the voltage you will have to refocus

but after that I think it would be about the same.

but if you increase it It might arc through the glass

and boom no more CRT also if the current goes to high you will get too much X--RAY bad for the health..

if it was that simple they would have done it.

the HV was a lot higher on the other tubes they used for a while. I think there is no change in the HVPS just settings

but unless you have a way to test the X-RAY output I would not increase the voltage..

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Michael,

As you say, hypothetically, the picture would probably be a little sharper, but in reality, if the pj is working properly it should shut down the HV, saving you or your medical insurance company the cost of all those chemotherapy treatments in the future. Who knows, it might even happen at the "proper HV levels".

I've been wondering how many years I can fall asleep under my ceiling mounted pj before I glow in the dark (like the people who used to paint the radium numbers on the watch faces). They were told it was "perfectly safe" at the time. The key word being "at the time". How things and opinions change over the years, I wonder what's next.

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.