AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sudden change of colloer during long shoot

I am playing with a NTSC HV-10 at the moment and I noticed on a few occasions that during a continuous long shoot the hue of the colors can change suddenly (almost always to a warmer pallete); it's a very subtle change but noticeable. It's like the camcorder decides to readjuts colors automaticaly.

M

·
Registered
308 Posts
This happened to me only one time with my HV-10. I was recording outside, around Noon and it was overcast. Recording mode was "auto". Started a new scene, and the image was very "warm" looking, then after about 5 seconds it slowly transitioned to a "normal/natural" look. I did not notice this when recording, but only during the playback.

Something in the auto white balance logic must have caused this to happen. Does anyone know if the camera does white balance adjustment through the lens, or does it use one of the sensors in the front of the camera? If it uses one of the sensors, perhaps one of my fingers was covering it?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
it's auto white level adjustment, the bane of any camcorders existence. I use manual white level for just that reason, if you are in an area with varied lighting temperatures, or even go from one colorful object to another, say shooting parrots of various colors in a zoo, your white level adjustment will kick in and change the color temp of everything.

I find it best to do the manual adjustment at the start of a scene with a sheet of white paper, then move on, I don't want the white level adjusting just because I started to shoot a red object instead of a blue one, or the color temp on a certain lamp is different than that of another in the room, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.