AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I completed my project late last fall and I kept the room around 66-68 in the winter by keeping both vents open. The room would drop in temp, when the sun was out as the solar heat would heat up the house and the basement would get cool from being underground. We would help offset this by turning on the fan for a few hours as it would get a little to warm in the house and too cold in the basement. Though as it is summer, it seems like the vents are more of a liability. If I keep them open they bring down the temp to 62 or cooler, with them closed the room stays around 64. I have two supplies and one large return. The vents are on the ceiling and the return is on the floor. I would like a way to keep the room close to the temp of the rest of the house, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions? As of now, we are fixing the issue with blankets lol

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Being in one of the higher humidity regions, I've had basically the same issue. In the Summer, with both vents open, I've actually had water condensing on the vent cover. I closed one vent completely and the other slightly. And ran the dehumidifier a couple of times a week. I have the same set up as you...two vents on the ceiling and one return near the floor. AND my wife (the LOGANESS) uses a blanket!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think basement builds always end up this way... it just stays cold in the basement. You might need a bigger return in your basement overall to suck up more cold air from there and push it upstairs. My wife always complains about the HT being too cold. I have both supply vents closed, although a little air does still come in. I just keep extra blankets in the HT :) And as I always tell her, better cold then hot!!

·
Banned
176 Posts
Depending on how much money you're willing to spend on this situation: Tear up the existing floor and install tile with the electric heat wire run in the mortar under the tile. The basement will be your favorite room in the house and your wife/girlfriend/their friends will want to lay naked on the basement floor. :)

I live in Wisconsin and understand cold and damp basements and in the last two houses I've built I had PEX water lines run in the basement concrete floor. Then with a boiler unit hot water runs through these lines creating radiant heat and EVERYONE loves it. When you walk down into the basement your entire body relaxes from the warmth and it keeps a very steady temperature on the upper levels too.

I've used the electric heat under tiles in the bathroom and it's very nice. A friend of mine used some type of electric heat under his carpet and that works well too but I would say the only downside is you feel the element connection points at certain spots when walking over the carpet.

Like every problem, there's a solution just depends on cost.

EDIT: If carpeting over the top be sure to use the special low R value carpet padding to let heat through, I've seen it at Home Depot and other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts