Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another pre-construction question :confused:

I walked down into my basement today and it felt like a meat freezer (AC on). I could feel the breeze through the sheet metal.

How do you seal the seems and joints for the returns and supplies? Now "duct tape" seems like the obvious answer but for some of the holes!!! I can stick my finger through! And taping against the metal return and wood joist doesn't seem right.

I should note that I live in a 4 season part of the country so I'll run both AC and heat equally.

Anybody out there tackle this same problem?

·
Registered
940 Posts
The easiest way to seal the ducts is to use a 100% silcone caulk on the larger holes and a metal backed (foil) tape on the rest of the joints, just make sure that you use a plastic squeege to press down the tape for better adhesion.

·
Registered
490 Posts
And do it with the AC off :) (which makes it hard to find the holes...)

I tried to do it with the AC on and it kept blowing the tape/caulk out...

:)

It did make a difference though (my attic is a lot hotter now)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gentlemen ! till next time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wrapped all my HVAC ductwork in my basement (feed & return) with a 1/8" thick foam product with adhesive on one side and foil on the other. This serves a few purposes:

1. Main done to reduce vibration/resonance through ductwork from basement to the rest of the house.

2. Improve efficiency.

I must say both points are improved considerably with the treatment. Made by Frost King. Purchased at Home Depot

Good luck,

Warren

·
Registered
306 Posts
A university (I think it was the University of Illinois) did a study of the best kind of tape to use. Ironically duct tape was the worst type of tape. It would dry out and lose adhesion. I think the best was packing tape.

However the other suggestions people made sound like they would be better.

So if you need to seal cracks in your ducts, duct tape is the last thing you want to use.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A university (I think it was the University of Illinois) did a study of the best kind of tape to use. Ironically duct tape was the worst type of tape. It would dry out and lose adhesion. I think the best was packing tape.

However the other suggestions people made sound like they would be better.

So if you need to seal cracks in your ducts, duct tape is the last thing you want to use.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That self adhesive foam product is something I was looking for in another thread I posted. Great ! thanks again !!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dvmdoc, (Warren)

Got back from Home Depot but could not find the Frost King product you described. What does it look like ie. 2" tape 50yrd rolls or sheets 4x8. What is the product called what is it's primary use ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know there is some season influence to the products carried at HD (ex. try to find window insulation kits now...impossible).

At any rate, I'm going to try and attach a .jpg of the product to this post. If I fail miserably, I"ll post it on my HT construction site and give the URL.

Cheers,

Warren

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warren,

Perfect ! got the picture, like you said might be a seasonal thing. I'll see if they can special order.

thanks again !!

Anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.