AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new HVAC system in my home. Most walls are open right now, so wiring is easy. I have a furnace with AC for my downstairs, and a combo unit on the roof for my upstairs. Each system will have 3 or 4 zones incorporated.

I have decided against doing a major home automation project. I really don't have much of a need for lighting control, etc. I would, however, like the ability to change the HVAC status in different zones from a central location (i.e.: Master bedroom).

Is there a simple system of thermostats that can communicate with each other, or a series of slave thermostats that can be overridden from the master? I was hoping for some type of standalone system.

Any recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You have 7 or 8 thermostats.

I have a similar system. 9 Thermostats across 6 air handlers. I use HAI security system with HAI thermostats. I also have a dozen lights or so that are controlled by the system (just on at sunset and off at an appropriate time). Works very well and is a relatively minor upgrade to the cost of a basic security system. Thermostats can be controlled locally, or at any of the security panels (one in bedroom) or even from my iphone.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Check out the Aprilaire website, see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
An all HAI system would work, so would a simple Crestron setup, or you could have a look at the RCS TZ43 ZWave thermostsats or the Aprilaire 8870 communicating (wired) thermostats + any of the many compatible software driven home automation controllers. The guys behind CQC are regular forum contributors.

jcmitch

·
Registered
191 Posts
Take a look at Proliphix. These t-stats have a built in web server that allows you to control them from a web browser on your PC through a home network. No need to have any other HA equipment. The t-stats are programmed indepentent of each other as far as setback schedules but each one's setpoint can be overridden manually. They are powered with the same cat5 cable that connects it to your home network.

http://www.proliphix.com

Here is a link to a thread on this forum about the proliphix line:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
 Setnet has a sale on the RCS TR-16 Thermostats right now. They are a networkable thermostat that has all the capabilities of the more expensive TR-40 series, but with a less robust display. So you end up having to do a lot of the initial programing via computer rather than the display (or at least it is much easier to do it this way). They are currently about $115 each. I'm not sure how many they have (the sale is limited to the number in stock). But considering each thermostat is going to be hundreds less than anything else out there that meets you needs, you could pick up the thermostats AND an automation software (like CQC) that would allow you to have all the control that you desire. You would still end up paying less for the software and thermostats than you will pay for more expensive thermostats alone.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Keep a careful eye on Ebay.

I won a listing for an Aprilaire 8818 Distribution Panel. Careful review of the listing revealed it also came with FOUR amx fg944-01 thermostats, which looked familiar. They turn out to be 8870's. No mention of that in the headline for the listing. All items new, never used.

$350 for all 5 pieces of kit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all.

It seems that several of these thermostats would meet my needs. The HAI units are particularly nice, as are the RCS units. Seems that if I home run cat 5 from each thermostat I should be OK.

Seems that I would still need a separate master control unit regardless of which system I use. I don't see a need for web connectivity or integration with a PC. Again, I would want to keep this as simple as possible.

What I am looking for is a simple way to do the following: I'm in bed and realize that I need to change the temperature in my kid's room. I walk over to the control in my bedroom (or use a remote) and simply change the setting in the other room.

What would be the simplest method of accomplishing this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I really am liking the HAI set-up. It is so user intuitive. Since I need to upgrade my security system and hope to have video at some point, this may be my best solution.

Any problems/issues I should look out for with HAI?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts