Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about ready to do the duct work for my theater. I will be replacing all the metal duct work that runs above the theater with flex duct . My question is, where should the cold air return be located?? I could put it in the face of the riser(2x6 construction) or in the ceiling at the back of the room. If I put the return in the ceiling, I would need to run the duct work through the riser, up the side wall and across the ceiling to the middle of the room. So I would have to use wall stacks to run through the walls, which will be metal. If I go this route, how would I make sure the stacks don't rattle/make noise during movie playback?? My room will be around 11x18 with 7 foot ceilings. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ron

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is an .gif of what I am talking about. The red arrows show the path if I would put the return in the ceiling. The blue arrows show the path if I would put the return in the riser. The arrows are pointing the wrong way, as it is a return, not a supply. Which do you think would be best?? As you can see, if I go with the ceiling location, I would have to go through the riser and up the wall. I don't know if that would be a good idea or not.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Why does your cold air return have to run to the center of the ceiling? Why not just end it at the top of that wall?

Living in Texas, we have plenty of heat, especially with all the equipment turned on. I put my cold air return on the top of the back wall (closest wall the the unit). That way all the hot air gets pulled out of the theater (of course the air is circulating). Not sure about winter yet since this will be the first with the theater installed. But the theater is upstairs and it's always warm upstairs.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All my equipment, except the projector, will be in a different room. I could put the return at the back of one fo the side walls, but didn't know how that would look. I could paint it to match the GOM, and it would probably blend right in. I am a little worried how it would look though with one wall having a return and the other not. Thanks for the idea.

Ron

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ah A man of symmetry.. I put two fake diffusers in my soffits to balance the pattern. They can be used as access to pull wires in the future. Anyway, your return should generally be opposing your outlets. As a rule of thumb I plan feeds to be on exterior walls at locations of heat loss like at windows if possible. The returns are on interior walls at a distance from the feeds. If I run feeds in the ceiling (primarily for AC) the returns are in the floor. Vise verse if the main concern is heat. Most important is to try to draw opposite feed flow if possible. Sometimes just getting a return anywhere in a room is a challenge. The ideal setup for both seasons is to use an interior wall cavitiy for a return and have a grill at the floor and another up high. Turn one close while the other is in service.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
usehername,

So are you saying that my return should be low in the room, close to the floor if I am concerned about getting heat out and cooling the room. My supplies will be in the ceiling, at the opposite end of the room. I Could put the return on the side walls, near the back wall, but the return could be no higer than 6 feet because of other obstructions. So, if keeping the room cool was my biggest concern, what would be better, return on the wall/ceiling or in the face of the riser.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes low in your case. Not so much for cooling as the cold air drops naturally. It is more important to have a high return (if possible) when the supplies are in the floor for cooling. The idea is to remove the warmer air up at the ceiling and create an up-flow of the cool air. Low would be best for heat season as you will want to remove the cooler air which will be lower in the room. Now your concern should be the noise from the blower. Try not to place the return anywhere at ear level near the seating area. The riser position should be fine if it is most feasible to install it there.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
usehername,

I would like to install it on one of the side walls, close to the back wall. This would be about 4 ft from any listener and the actual blower will be far away in the utility room with many "S" curves to preven noise. I think putting the return in the wall will be a lot easier than the riser(won't have to cut through the joists of the riser). So I guess I will put the return on the side wall close to the riser floor. I always thought that the return should be higher on the wall/in the ceiling to suck the hot air out. Learn something new everyday. :D

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
639 Posts
it is also my understanding that the return, in addition to being opposite from the feed, should be close to the tstat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.