AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved from fastGT's thread so I don't crap up his thread with my questions.

Short version is my new construction plans call for 2 noisy air handlers in a mechanical room next to the future HT. These are listed as AHU in the pic (not to be confused with the 3 condenser units sitting outside)

I like the location - easy access for maintenance, plus short runs for out gasses & coolant lines. But will clips + DD & GG be enough to soundproof the AHU's from the HT without compromise?

Each unit cools ~2100sqft. The location also requires all flex duct lines for basement & first floor to route through the ceiling of the HT to get to/from the AHU's.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Won't claim to be an expert - but that doesn't look too bad. Assuming this is a walk-out basement and that's a retaining wall/foundation behind the compressors, I don't think you'll be too bad off. You've got the equipment room between them as well, so quite a bit of mass - and your seating is at the other side of the theater, too, correct?

If they were positioned where your equipment room is, I'd be throwing the red flag. and I think it's a better location than North of the equipment room, too.

$.02 worth... No refunds.

Jeff

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident
Moved from fastGT's thread so I don't crap up his thread with my questions.

Short version is my new construction plans call for 2 noisy air handlers in a mechanical room next to the future HT. These are listed as AHU in the pic (not to be confused with the 3 condenser units sitting outside)

I like the location - easy access for maintenance, plus short runs for out gasses & coolant lines. But will clips + DD & GG be enough to soundproof the AHU's from the HT without compromise?

Each unit cools ~2100sqft. The location also requires all flex duct lines for basement & first floor to route through the ceiling of the HT to get to/from the AHU's.
No expert here either, but here is my input based on my experience. I have the same setup and I opted to go with direct vent furnaces and direct vent water heater. If not you have to put ventilation louvers into the wall somewhere that are based on the amount of sq. ft. per btu's. I also put a solid door on the the mechanical room and sealed it up very well I put foam board on the concrete walls which would be in the back of the mechanicals and then used 5/8" drywall on the inside with Roxul safe and sound for insulation. I then put another sheet of 5/8" on the outside. I tested the sound level prior to taping and mudding and the sound on the outside of the room was barely noticeable for me so I did not put more drywall up. The wall was staggered 2x6 construction by the way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Nice anecdote. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I'm just happy that Ted (who *is* an expert) chimed in, and didn't call what I said 'total crap'...

Jeff

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I updated the pic. The condensers/compressors are circled in green. I think they're ok.

It's the air handlers I'm concerned with. They're circled in red. They are responsible for conditioning over 40,000 CuFt of space and sit 5' or closer to the shared wall with my theater. All the HVAC runs for the 1st floor, theater, and the rest of the basement will come out of that room.

If that shared wall was concrete, I wouldn't be as concerned, but it's simply a standard wood stud wall and I'm not sure clips + DD + GG are going to be enough.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/20875303

I'm not sure clips + DD + GG are going to be enough.

Oh, somehow I think you'd be quite surprised...
Consider putting double drywall on the air handler side as well. If the theater is sealed up to guard against flanking, you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.