AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came outside of my build thread for this one, hopefully to get a faster and more direct response.

HVAC is going in tomorrow.
It is an independant system for the basement only (Upstairs is its own unit).

My question: Where to place the thermostat?

There are two returns to the system, one in the theater and the other one in the other side of the basement (2000sf).

At first I thought it obvious to put it in the theater, but now I'm thinking it's maybe not that obvious? The equipment and amount of people will throw it off.

At the same time, that is the room with 80% of the usage, if I put it outside of the theater then it will never know what the temp is in the place that we are most of the time.

Is there a definative answer?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Who cares if you know the specific temperature. Either you will be comfortable or you won't be. You set the thing to a specific temperature and just forget about it. I'd actually not put it in the room so to make fabric treatments and the like easier. One less thing to frame around.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your logic. But say It's in the theater and I make it 70 in there with all the heat load in the room. Wouldn't the other rooms end up much cooler? And vice versa...it it's outside of the room then the room will be much warmer. Assuming summer time, would be opposite problem for winter.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/16922879

I see your logic. But say It's in the theater and I make it 70 in there with all the heat load in the room. Wouldn't the other rooms end up much cooler? And vice versa...it it's outside of the room then the room will be much warmer. Assuming summer time, would be opposite problem for winter.

Think about it this way, say you're cooking a huge Thanksgiving dinner in your kitchen and it's getting hot in there, so you adjust your thermostat in your dining room in an effort to make the kitchen cooler. Well, you can't just make your kitchen cooler without cooling the rest of the house along with it right? It's part and parcel of your overall HVAC system. Moving your thermostat into the kitchen won't accomplish much since it will just be sensing the hotter air and will eventually reach your desired temp, along with a cooler remainder of the house. Now if you would have put 2 forced air vents in your kitchen instead on 1, you'd have double the airflow and would have a bigger effect right?

Like Cathan said, I'd just put the t-stat outside the theater and save yourself some headache on finishing around it. If you have dampers on the rest of the zones you could shut them a bit to force more air into the theater, although hopefully you planned on how much CFM you wanted in the theater to begin with.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts
I vote in the theater, you said that was where 80% of the use will be. Just close the dampers in the other rooms if they get too cool.

A thermostat on a fabric wall is a piece of cake relative to the overall effort.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, for helping me think this through.

Closing the dampers is a great suggestion. Half of the basement won't be finished for a looong time, so closing dampers won't effect anyone else in those rooms.

My fabric is only going up 48" and then I'll have painted wall, so no big deal for installation of the thermostat.

The equipment closet will be vented to the adjacent room, the projector is right near the return and the room is pretty large at 4700cf. So maybe the demand in the theater won't be all that much different than the other rooms either way.

We'll go with in the theater! But I'll check in the morning for any convincing arguement otherwise.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the standard location for a thermostat is near the main cold air return to "sence" what temps the air is as it returns to the air handler.

in my area (Toronto) supplies are located near the out side edges of rooms, particularily near sources of heat loss/cold loss (i.e. windows, doors). Returns are located centrally.

This pumps the conditioned air to the far outer edges of rooms and draws it back centrally. when the entire room has be brought up or down to the right temps the thermostat will know since the returns are farthest away from the supplies and it should be assumed (and is the case) that all the air between is at proper temp as well.

my advice, put it within 5' of the largest return.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike. The guys are here and working already! I'm going in the theater room and about 8' from the return. It will be within 5' of the equipment rack though. But since its venting to the adjacent room I think I'll be fine.

Thanks again guys. Big Help!

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16923106

I vote in the theater, you said that was where 80% of the use will be. Just close the dampers in the other rooms if they get too cool.

A thermostat on a fabric wall is a piece of cake relative to the overall effort.

I agree, and you can by remote controlled thermostat and probably make it work with whatever universal remote you have. You won't have to get off theater seat to make it cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts