AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide where to put my HVAC vents and the best place seems to be in the front behind my false wall. I will have plenty of acoustically transparent material in the wall including the screen. I am hoping to put in a screen research screen, but budget may change that.

The two questions are:

1. will the air pass through the AT fabric or will it only heat/cool the front of my room?

2. Will the air flow cause the screen to move?

Thanks!

stefan

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I thought HVAC airflow made screens dirty.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
sbraab,

I am putting my return box behind my false wall, but the supplies will go in the main part of the HT. My room is roughly 14x20 and I wanted to minimize visible things like ducts and the like. My false wall will be covered with fabric and will be built out a foot or two from the screen, so I'll have plenty of space for air to get into the return.

This picture shows the box on the left side of the screen wall.
http://theater.loosechangerocks.net/172_7251small.JPG

The picture shows the supplies towards the back of the room.
http://theater.loosechangerocks.net/172_7254small.JPG

·
Registered
690 Posts
How about putting them inside the riser of the back seats? That is what I am thinking of doing. This way, no holes in the ceiling for one thing and they are not visible (hardly). Not sure if a vented screen would block the airflow.

Of course your furnace being behing the rear seats would make this easier and it does not look like you setup is that way.

just a thought

gary

·
Registered
100 Posts
I grew up doing HVAC work with my uncle during the summers in college and HS and I would not suggest putting vents or returns behind the false wall. You are going to be sucking all kinds of dirt and grime from the return into the false wall and screen. I would also think it could cause some flexing of the screen when the HVAC kicks on and off in the room. Imagine watching a movie and getting a nice ripple in the screen when the HVAC kicks on. Maybe someone else could chime in but IMHO I would not consider it a great idea.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I must be a bit confused by this then.... I'll have the front wall with double drywall, then the screen wall right in front of that. The front wall/proscenium will be built a couple feet out from the screen and I'll have a stage. With a gap between the proscenium wall and the screen on both sides, what problem would that cause. Now, if the screen and proscenium were on the same plane and there's no gap, then I could see some issues.... Maybe I'm missing what the OP asked about...???

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I agree with paulb3d. Do you really want your screen and false wall fabric acting as a big dust filter for your HVAC system?

Regards,

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.