AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through hell with a USB stick, I buy an HVR1250 PCI TV tuner card and now I can't even boot into windows.

This card did NOT come with a CD but I tried the driver on the Happague site which demolished my windows installation.

The driver froze and now I have a disk error (the HDD is fine).

let me get this straight --

the driver HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE is what I wanted correct? (using XP sp3)

the wintv v7 installation does or does not require a purchased CD to use?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have two of these cards.

Yes for HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE

Wintv v7 does require a purchased CD. You can use Windows media center, JRiver media center, NextPVR or Mediaportal as alternatives.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well then I SHOULD have installed wintv v7 rather than the driver?

my PC is SHOT after trying to install the driver -- can't even get the XP disc to run to do a repair -- getting a dosk read error, ran DPS test all fine and the hard drive is brand new -- this is unbelieveable.

spent hours setting this up and all was fine till i tried to instal HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE

it froze the cursor and I could even bring up task manager so I turned off the PC and it's DEAD.

look for example here--

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1250.html

where it says "installation notes"

it SAYS you need a previous CD but I'll take your word for it. DAMNITALL !!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a way to do it without the CD, basically downloading files from Hauppag which mimic the CD. That's what I did using Windows 7 64bit. I don't know if they're what you would need for XP. Hauppag customer support can probably help you. If not, I could send you the files.

I RMAed the first Hauppag 1250 for blue screen reasons, and had similar problems with a somewhat different 1250. It turns out that it may also be the firmware for my SSD which I've now updated. Running without the Haup 1250 physically installed, my computer runs fine. I haven't yet put it back in for another test.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, going to forget about the tuner for now -- priority is to get my PC alive again. I did manage to put in a win7 install disc which can give me a command prompt and maybe some other tools you guys can enlighten me to.

again, it's an XP sp3 installation but the win7 cd is at least starting up.

running chkdsk/r right now.

any other ideas?

obviously, the "disk read error" i'm getting is not because of a bad hard drive because I can see it with the win7 cd.

any other ideas?

what else can I run from the command prompt to try and repair my xp installationa nd get tit to boot? what is fixmbr etc? thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcramdon  /t/1420106/hvr-1250-and-wintv-nightmare#post_22216230

well then I SHOULD have installed wintv v7 rather than the driver?

No the driver alone should work fine. I never install WinTV 7.

Just because the Win 7 instalation CD can see the drive does not mean that it is good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i get xp up again then next time i'll check the box "show results" when i run the driver -- if i have the courage to do it again.

i'm running chkdsk now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well fellas just learned something --

no way i could get my XP installation disc to do anything after this wintv crap it would get to "setup is examning hardware etc" and fail.

BUT --

my win7 disc came up fine and allowed me to get to a command prompt -- ran chkdsk/r and now XP is back in action.

so why did the XP install disc fail? Hmmmm

i fear trying this driver install again but now it's war.

so to clarify --

put in the hvr1250 boot and cancel off found new hardware > then run HCWDRIVERINSTALL.exe ?

i'm half tempted to just run the big wintv v7 instead.

??

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
DO you watch DVDs on your XP system today? In other words, do you already have decoders installed on your XP system? If you do then you do NOT need to install WinTV and I would strongly suggest NEVER loading WinTV. It's a crappy software.

Since you tried running that HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE you may have a partial installation. Grab the HCWCLEAR from the Hauppauge site and run it. Then reboot. Then run the HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE again. I suspect you had something odd going on. Seeing as you're on XP you have to install drivers whereas Win 7 would go get them as well as have codecs installed.

On the odd chance you don't have codecs (can't currently watch DVDs on your PC) I'd suggest MediaPortal 1.2.3 as an option.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info on hcwclear -- tried that.

finally went to windows 7 and back to using my usb stick which is working flawlessly under win7 -- will just have to break down and buy it (it's a loaner) -- like media center as well.

hvr-1250 still won't work -- even with windows 7.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I use their HVR-1600 and have been for years, now. Used it under Win XP-Home and now Win 7 Home Premium. Granted, the 1250 has NO on-board encoding but if you're only interested in the ATSC tuner it wouldn't matter.

What are you tuning? OTA ATSC, Cable, ClearQAM?

Glad you've got the USB tuner going... they tend to run warm/hot so don't bury it. It's odd the 1250 isn't working under Win 7... what's the Device Manager say about it? WMC doesn't see it? Or how do you know it's not working?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Downloaded the manual for the HVR-1250 and it makes no mention of the TitanTV helper app. Does the HVR-1250 have the TitanTV helper? If so, have you used TitanTV to schedule recordings for the HVR-1250?

If you are doing recordings and have VideoReDo have you had any problems editing the recordings?

Anyone using HVR-1250 in a Windows 8 setup?

FWIW, been using MIT MDP-100/120/130s (all discontinued) for many years with TitanTV and VideoReDo.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland  /t/1420106/hvr-1250-and-wintv-nightmare#post_22979672

Does the HVR-1250 have the TitanTV helper?

If you are doing recordings and have VideoReDo have you had any problems editing the recordings?

Anyone using HVR-1250 in a Windows 8 setup?

Purchased and installed the WinTV-HVR-1250 into a Windows 8 Pro computer and have it working. You can use TitanTV to schedule recordings but you must edit your channel list so the Preset number matches the channel number in TitanTV. If you do not do this then nothing gets inserted into your record schedule when you click the RECORD button in TitanTV. I learned how to do this by trail & error.

The Hauppauge WinTV 7 nor the manual(s) makes reference to the term Virtual Channel and their tech support did not respond to inquires. The WinTV-HVR-1250 does work on a Windows 8 computer but all other aspects about the Hauppauge seems crude when compared with the ancient MIT series of tuner cards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts