AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

Need some help from some of ya'all. I recently decided to upgrade my HTPC components and swapped out my ATI HDTV wonder with a Hauppauge HVR-1600 ATSC/NTSC card.

Everything works fine, except for one small thing. The sound output from the HVR-1600 ATSC is only stereo. With my older ATI HDTV card I used to get the native format sound i.e. DD5.1 for HD shows like 24, House etc and Pro Logic for the non HD shows. With the HVR-1600, no matter what I do I get only stereo sound from Live ATSC TV. Even the earlier recorded shows with 5.1 play only in stereo.

In fact, I have pinpointed this problem to the HWC codecs that get installed with the HVR-1600 card. The ATI card actually used to SPDIF passthrough and use the Nvidia Purevideo codecs to play all HDTV contents.

Now my question, is there anyway that something similar can be done with the 1600 card? How do I go about configuring the 1600 to output 5.1 sound and not stereo?

TIA for your help.

BPP!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
What application are you using? I'm using WatchHDTV on my WinXP-Home/SP2 system and installed this HVR-1600 as a second tuner. I found this to be the case as well using their AC3 codec and figured IF I had loaded their Win2000 application it would be configurable there. Since I'm using WatchHDTV instead I created various decoders.txt files and found that using the Cyberlink audio (the one the HDTV-Wonder uses) or AC3Filter correct this stereo-AC3 problem. And yes, I found the AC3 shows only played-back in stereo as well! All is fixed using AC3Filter.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
As ask already what program are you using for watching the TV stream? and what MPEG decoder are you using?

- Josh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts