AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a short term sublet and the appartment has no TV so after going batty for a few days I thought I could pick up a TV tuner card to my desktop. I got the Haupauge HVR-1600 model 1199(w/QAM) from CC for $70. I've got an older computer: P4 2.4G, 1G ram, ATI rad 9200 128m on AGPx8, XP pro. I'm in NYC and the cable provider is Time Warner I think.

When I ran the channel scan with the digital input i cam up with only 3 channels, and only one was worth watching. With the analog scan I came up with ~40 channels, half were scrambled, 5 spanish, leaving 15 useable channels.

Basically I'm wondering if and how I can do better. I got a signal booster from RS and did the scans and come up with the same amount of channels picked up. However, when I had run a scan with my Visio TV(in storage) at a nearby appartment I was getting around 90 channels picked up and ~30 useble channels.

Is there another card or program that can come closer to picking up the same amount of channels as my visio that is PCI or possibly USB based?

One other thing I don't like the about my current card/set-up is that when using WinTV v6 I can't really use a dual monitor set-up with one in full screen since when ever I click the mouse on the other screen WinTV automatically comes out of full screen on the other monitior.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Check the HDTV reception section of the forum, they can tell you how much of the QAM in your area is encrypted. I saw a super low number of channels in my area on Comcast with a native QAM tuner.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The signal strength from his wall cable outlet is too low which is way he gets so few stations and why amplifing the signal that is present does not help. IO am sure that in NYC that there are more 3 local digital broadcasters which would mean that there certainly should be more then 3 unencrypted QAM channels.

First thing you can check is probably the cable end connection at your wall outlet.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You'd be surprised... I was when I researched the lack of channels on my provider. That was the explanation that I found in the HDTV forums section. Your explanation is certainly possible though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just was able to pull about 60 digital channels by manually doing the scan.

In sources menu of channel manager choose Clear QAM source then did auto scan.

Seems to be getting regular def digital signals and hdtv signals, only problem is that I'm getting choppiness on some of the higher def hdtv signals.

Guess I'll try to play around with my comp settings to see if I can squeeze out some better performance. Have XP optimized for Apps, should I opt for background services optimization instead?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts