AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/quickett/media/IMAG0454_zps5f6fe218.jpg.html

Room is not ideal, but it is what I have to work with.

White ceiling, light green walls. 17'6 L x 14'6 W.

Projector will be HW-50ES shelf mounted in rear of room above sliding glass door.

Focus is on movies/gaming and sports along with some 3D mixed in. Not interested in music

My current screen (115" diagonal BOC)I made using the screen spline method and would prefer to use that method again with the new screen with flexiwhite. New screen looking to do 65"x133.25" 2.05 as I want to maximize both 16:9 and 2.39.

The issues as I see, will I need to spray immediately(already have most of the ingredients for SF 2 or 2.5 from last year just haven't mixed them yet) and what issues will I have getting the edges masked off with my mounting method. As the trim is masked before fabric is attached.

Advice as always would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was able to get the 50ES mounted, now I'm ready to get the new screen done.

I would be willing to do a painted sintra screen, but I doubt I can get a sheet large enough for my needs.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,584 Posts
Hi Quickett,

The room is not so much the challenge as is the combination of the projector and proposed Screen size. At the size you want, and with the Sony set at just 7" shy of minimum Throw (16') you'll get at most 12 Foot Lamberts of reflective brightness from a 1.0 gain screen. (...if your needed Throw is significantly longer, your gonna need to rethink screen size...***)

A SFv 2.5 mix with no colorant added would be approximately 1.2 gain, and that would give you 14 foot lambert.

Your room seems to have little concern as far as exterior light (Sun) or a close Ceiling proximity (High Slope) although your new screen will pretty much be jammed into the location shown, so the left upper corner will crowd the slope ceiling there. Yo might want to consider mounting the screen as low as possible in that regard.

(*** 60" x 123" - 137" diagonal at 2.05:1)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MM, a couple of questions.

I have the ingredients for the original SF v2. Which ingredients should I replace?

Are there any sources for sintra (or equivalent) in the size I need? If not, do you have any suggestion on how to paint the flexiwhite after it is in the frame?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I paint the flexiwhite before attaching to to frame, or will the process of attaching to the screen guide mess the painted surface up? Because it will be impossible to trim the frame after after material is attached.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickett  /t/1523644/hw-50es-challenging-room-sf-advice-needed#post_24547595

Can I paint the flexiwhite before attaching to to frame, or will the process of attaching to the screen guide mess the painted surface up? Because it will be impossible to trim the frame after after material is attached.

Why?

And why are you limited to only using Screen Guide?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More for the simplicity factor. Just having the one frame to build will be easier then building a frame for material to attach to then another frame for the trim. Unless I'm missing something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts