AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this price range of $7,500 or less... Anyone done a side by side of these models?? Which is the best bang for the buck, or... if it's not listed in the thread title.. what's the best pj for $7,500 or less....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not sure what an RF20 is. Do you mean the JVC RS20?

As for the best bang for the buck, that would be the Sony HW10, as it is the least expensive unit. That said, I have the VW80, which has slightly better contrast ratio, additional calibration options and motorized lens for ease of use. If the price differential is not too great over the HW10, get that for the slightly better pix. Otherwise, you are not likely to be disappointed with the HW10.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve /forum/post/15459838

Not sure what an RF20 is. Do you mean the JVC RS20?

As for the best bang for the buck, that would be the Sony HW10, as it is the least expensive unit. That said, I have the VW80, which has slightly better contrast ratio, additional calibration options and motorized lens for ease of use. If the price differential is not too great over the HW10, get that for the slightly better pix. Otherwise, you are not likely to be disappointed with the HW10.

Steve... I updated the Subject line, to RS20. That's what I meant, but it was sort of a type-o (I think my brain was thinking Reference20 = RF20 instead of RS20)...

As far as the 80 goes... I am concerned about the 100/120hz issue with motionflow, dfi, 1080i60, issues, etc...

I have a HW10 and it's not too bad.. Side by side are the other little guys more bright??

All we've dealt with here are the big high-end names and I am looking for something in this lower end market..

What about comparing the VW200 to the HW10...

For what its worth.. I have and enjoy the HW10.. Just heard that both the VW80, VW200 and the RS20 are great units...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want the best of all the worlds.. I want features, function, brightness, good color, contrast, blacks... good image pop..... the whole 9 yards and the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A friend of mine has the HW10. The HW10 is a hair brighter. The VW80 has slightly better blacks (though Bytehoven posted some settings for improving that on the HW10). The VW80 also has motionflow and DFI, both of which work at 120Hz (the SXRD panels in the VW80 differ from the panels in the HW10 and are designed for 120Hz operation). Some people like MotionFlow and/or DFI, while others don't. I have not made up my mind yet, but I like having the option.

I also like the motorized lens features and lens cover, and a trigger output in case I ever decide to go to a 2.35 screen.

Basically, if you like the HW10, you'll like the incremental improvement from the VW80 or RS20. Whether it is worth it for you from a dollar standpoint is something only you can decide. For me, the slight cost premium over the HW10 was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not concerned about trigger out with a pro2 in the house.. I can use it to control screen / lens... just looking for a real world best reasonable projector in this price point... thanks steve ;-)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
How can an improvement from hw10 to rs20 be "incremental" ? Pjreviews ranks hc7000 and 6500ub over hw10, and then ranks rs1 over both of those, and an rs20 should be a pretty serious improvement over rs1. Overall it seems like rs20 is in a different league from hw10, unless pjreviews is full of beep.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Each person has things that are important to them, and thus, that is the reason it is so hard to recommend a projector. One can not make a decision based on a review, without viewing the projector for themself. For example, I can't stand the image from single chip DLP devices. That doesn't mean you will not like it. I also have issues with (among other things) JVC's color accuracies and inabaility to fully correct it, which rules out their projectors for me. That does not mean you will not like it.

My reference is a NEC 10pg crt projector in my theater (9 inch tubes, 6500K, ISF calibrated), which is being replaced by a VW80 that I purchased.

My point was that he already owns a HW10. The projectors he mentioned will give him incremental improvements over the HW10. The HW10 is no slouch. However, whether it is worth discarding the projector for another is only something he can ultimately decide.

BTW, while "pjreviews" gave the 6500ub a good review (as was the case with the AE2000, AE3000 and numerous other projectors), postings here will show that lots of "recommended" projectors have dust blob problems, stuck zoom lens rings, pixel alignment issues, etc. None of these issues are associated with the Sony projectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts