AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been pretty well set on getting the BenQ HT1075 for the lamp life and optimized brightness, but as of late the HW40ES has dropped to only about a thousand bucks more than the 1075. So I became interested and gave it a peek, and the optimized brightness is roughly the same with a still outstanding 5000 hour lamp expectancy. So my biggest concern is how the SXRD panels react to being used heavily. Because in my experience I've learned that LCD's don't exactly enjoy long time exposure to heat, and the SXRD panels are somewhat similar to 3LCD.

The room is completely light controlled, so no worries there. The DLP offerings have generally no degrading parts as far as I know, but a single chip DLP will not do as well in a light controlled environment as the Sony will, so I'd be perfectly willing to get it given that it can handle the heavy use. Lamp prices aren't really a factor, so I'm just focusing 100% on the health of the projector itself.

Also I'd like to know exactly how much better the HW40ES is in a dedicated theater room and in what aspects it really shows its colors. I know it has loads more bells and whistles, but I'm using a dedicated HTPC so I have plenty of advanced image control as well as frame interpolation. So given the raw output from the PJ, is it just black level the Sony excels at or does it overall crush the BenQ offerings due to the native contrast? Reason I'm asking is I will be viewing 99% animated content. The projector will rarely, if ever, be used for a live action film. So if anybody has had the chance to compare the two with animated content that would truly be the deciding factor. In most animated content color accuracy, contrast, and brightness will be king.

I was planning on pulling the trigger on the 1075, but I'd hate to blow a thousand bucks only to be stuck with upgrade fever. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have not seen the 40ES, but I can tell you I was unimpressed by the Sony Pearl, their first $5000 SXRD projector 8 years ago. I had been living with the JVC G10, the first LCoS generation of projectors for 5 years and the Sony was a pale imitation. I ended up buying the JVC RS1 to replace my older JVC and it was night and day better than the Sony Pearl. Presumably Sony has improved since then, but even the Pearl got good reviews at the time ... from other people than me.

I have been using a Benq W1070 (identical to the 1075HT except for MHL), for 6 months now as my only TV, watching 6-8 hours a night. I have over 800 hours on it now and no signs of any issues. It does not have the same shadow detail as my JVC, but for animated content I don't see that as ever being an issue. And of course the brightness means I can leave a few lights on, which is not possible with my JVC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not seen the 40ES, but I can tell you I was unimpressed by the Sony Pearl, their first $5000 SXRD projector 8 years ago. I had been living with the JVC G10, the first LCoS generation of projectors for 5 years and the Sony was a pale imitation. I ended up buying the JVC RS1 to replace my older JVC and it was night and day better than the Sony Pearl. Presumably Sony has improved since then, but even the Pearl got good reviews at the time ... from other people than me.

I have been using a Benq W1070 (identical to the 1075HT except for MHL), for 6 months now as my only TV, watching 6-8 hours a night. I have over 800 hours on it now and no signs of any issues. It does not have the same shadow detail as my JVC, but for animated content I don't see that as ever being an issue. And of course the brightness means I can leave a few lights on, which is not possible with my JVC.

Interesting, I've heard both people who say that the Sony and BenQ are simply "apples and oranges" and can't be compared, and I've heard people say the only notable difference is black level, image processing, lens quality, and noise level. A lot of people say the former, which leads me to believe it's simply not comparable? :confused: But if the latter is the case I might as well save myself a couple bucks better spent on a nice screen and snatch the BenQ. Because even though they may be large deciding factors for a cinemaphile, for someone who's viewing animated content it's mostly money better spent.

You're the second person I've seen with a JVC+W1070 setup, must be the way to go!

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
Interesting, I've heard both people who say that the Sony and BenQ are simply "apples and oranges" and can't be compared, and I've heard people say the only notable difference is black level, image processing, lens quality, and noise level. A lot of people say the former, which leads me to believe it's simply not comparable? :confused: But if the latter is the case I might as well save myself a couple bucks better spent on a nice screen and snatch the BenQ. Because even though they may be large deciding factors for a cinemaphile, for someone who's viewing animated content it's mostly money better spent.

You're the second person I've seen with a JVC+W1070 setup, must be the way to go!

While I would say that the Sony HW40 is a better home theater projector in many ways, a lot depends on how you plan to use it, your room environment, screen, and budget. Projector reviews .com - http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/sony-vpl-hw40es-home-theater-projector-review/ - has good reviews to read on projectors - always worth a look

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I would say that the Sony HW40 is a better home theater projector in many ways, a lot depends on how you plan to use it, your room environment, screen, and budget. Projector reviews .com - http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/sony-vpl-hw40es-home-theater-projector-review/ - has good reviews to read on projectors - always worth a look
I have a light controlled room set aside for a discrete home theater, my biggest concern is I'm going to use it a good 8 hours per day and I don't know how the SXRD chips respond to that kind of constant use, that's a lot of heat for a partially organic screen.

What I'm looking for is a home theater that's going to be able to replace a TV and give me the best possible picture while doing so.

My throw is 15ft on to a 144" screen, which will already be a touch dark, I'll be using eco mode as well for maximum longetivity. So, that goes for double.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I had two rear projection SXRD sets and both developed optical block issues. Both were my main TV... One lasted about 18 months... The other about four years. With the rear projection sets the negative press was everywhere. I haven't seen any negative buzz about SXRD front projection longevity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems to me like the Sony probably isn't the best full-time TV replacement. So I'm going to pull the trigger on the HT1075 for now and if I end up getting upgradeitis later the BenQ won't have broken the bank.

I did get a chance to view the Sony and it's as stunning as people say.

However, I demoed a BenQ in my house for a while and it was beyond satisfactory. Unless you have the Sony placed side by side I simply would not notice a difference with animated works. The contrast on the BenQ is half what the Sony has, but there just isn't the same "holy crap" factor you get when comparing the Sony to the Benq using an animated work.

Basically what I've found is the BenQ does have a particularly outstanding contrast ratio, especially considering its price point. Black levels are average, on smartEco they're pretty darned good.

But the Sony lesser beats them as it does completely demolishes them.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
For picture quality there is no doubt the Sony is the winner even on animated material. A movie like Cars which has some dark scenes will clearly show the difference, it won't be as noticeable on brighter scenes. I have worked with projectors for many years and DLPs main failures is the color wheel which will eventually go. I haven't seen too many go much beyond 10,000 hours but I expect with your type of usage it will be longer, LCOS and LCD have lasted much longer. I wouldn't go by the old rear projection TVs or early versions of LCOS projectors those did have a lot of problems. Also, with using it 8 hours a day you are more likely to get the lamp's rated hours or more before it blows. The big difference between these two models is brightness, the 1075 can get significantly brighter if needed especially if you use high power lamp or one of the other color modes as the lamp dims over time. Here the 1075 has a clear advantage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've never understood the logic in "I want a home heater projector to replace my TV"

Would you replace your toaster with a blender?
I'm not quite sure I follow you here. While I'm not the OP, I have space in my basement which has my dedicated home theater and currently has a 60 inch panny gt50. I just purchased a projector (BenQ 1070) to use in place of this television. Why can a projector not replace a TV?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
There's a blurring of the lines between "home theater" and "home video" projectors, with the latter category considered more of a TV replacement. Home video projectors generally do not require outstanding black level performance because there's an assumption that there will be more ambient light than in a light-controlled home theater room. The HW40ES is generally considered to be more of a home theater projector while the HT1075 makes the ProjectorCentral.com top 10 ranking in both categories for projectors under $1,500.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never understood the logic in "I want a home heater projector to replace my TV"

Would you replace your toaster with a blender?
I'd consider it closer to replacing your toaster with a flamethrower. A touch overkill, but it'll do the job and has plenty of other uses as well.

If you have a proper room for it and don't mind the lamp costs, more power to you. Most budget DLP's and some budget LCDs, as well as all LCoS, will have better PQ than most giant screen TVs (or all of them, equivalent price-wise...). There's no reason to pay more for less on a TV.

Years ago I would say that the lamp costs are just too high to attempt this sort of thing, but at this point two Sony or BenQ lamps would give you equivalent usage time to the entire lifespan of a CFL LCD.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I work from home. I run our main TV in the living room most of the day as background noise. We purchased it in Feb of 2012 and it already has 12,000 + hours on it. I wouldn't want to put that same wear and tear on a projector.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I'm not quite sure I follow you here. While I'm not the OP, I have space in my basement which has my dedicated home theater and currently has a 60 inch panny gt50. I just purchased a projector (BenQ 1070) to use in place of this television. Why can a projector not replace a TV?

Because they aren't tvs and weren't designed to be as such?

Different caveats, different products.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I'd consider it closer to replacing your toaster with a flamethrower. A touch overkill, but it'll do the job and has plenty of other uses as well.

If you have a proper room for it and don't mind the lamp costs, more power to you. Most budget DLP's and some budget LCDs, as well as all LCoS, will have better PQ than most giant screen TVs (or all of them, equivalent price-wise...). There's no reason to pay more for less on a TV.

Years ago I would say that the lamp costs are just too high to attempt this sort of thing, but at this point two Sony or BenQ lamps would give you equivalent usage time to the entire lifespan of a CFL LCD.
Lamps dim over their lifetime. I Haven't kept one in my theater projector over 1500 hours ever.

The home theater really isn't something most people use 8 hours a day, or even daily for that matter. As a result the products are designed in this way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Because they aren't tvs and weren't designed to be as such?

Different caveats, different products.
Uh, alright. My TV serves the purpose of providing a viewable image for things like shows, movies, and sporting events. A projector serves the purpose of providing a viewable image for things like shows, movies, and sporting events. Projectors were designed to provide a viewable image. TVs were designed to provide a viewable image. To me, replacing one item designed to provide a viewable image (TV) with another item designed to provide a viewable image (projector) seems like a direct comparison.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Uh, alright. My TV serves the purpose of providing a viewable image for things like shows, movies, and sporting events. A projector serves the purpose of providing a viewable image for things like shows, movies, and sporting events. Projectors were designed to provide a viewable image. TVs were designed to provide a viewable image. To me, replacing one item designed to provide a viewable image (TV) with another item designed to provide a viewable image (projector) seems like a direct comparison.

Am I missing something here?
Yes, I appreciate you going all marketing myopia on me, but yes.

Many people use their tv for much more than providing an image, background noise, computer screen, to play music, etc. ht projectors were never intended to do this.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Perhaps I should have said "I use my television in my dedicated HT area to watch movies and television shows. I want to replace the television with a projector to serve these same purposes."

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I work from home. I run our main TV in the living room most of the day as background noise. We purchased it in Feb of 2012 and it already has 12,000 + hours on it. I wouldn't want to put that same wear and tear on a projector.
I put 18,000 hours on my JVC RS1 before the fan gave out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts